Collated Screwdriver

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Molynoox

Established Member
Reaction score
looking at getting a Makita (DFR550z) screwgun as I have a few thousand screws to put in next week

question 1 - are they rubbish?
question 2 - do any collated screws work in them or do they need to be Makita?
question 3 - do they do extrerior rated screws for them as I cant seem to find any?

I have hikoki batteries also if there are alternative tools i should consider

any advice appreciated, cheers

Martin

1. I've had a 240v Makita collated screwdriver for about 20 years....Admittedly, it doesn't get used every day but it's still going strong and when using it to fix up plaster board sheets, it's a godsend.

2 & 3. I buy my screws for it from Screwfix....They also sell exterior type collated screws as I think most collated screws are the same format.
Here's an example of an exterior screw.....
https://www.screwfix.com/p/timco-do...Ggxx5MekAIQyV3pr88xoC5NoQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
I did consider the cordless version of this drill when I bought mine but I dont own any Makita battery tools ( had a really bad experience with Makita batteries years ago...!!), plus the fact that the cordless version with batteries and charger was substantially more then than the 240v version.

Last edited:
Great, that's really useful, exactly what I was looking for.
That's one vote in favour.
I will probably commit to this tomorrow, I will keep my eye on this thread in case there are any other views.
Martin

Back