Colibri - Kinetic Sculpture - Parts

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidJHolmes

Established Member
Reaction score
Treated myself to the set of plans from Derek Hugger for his Colibri Kinetic Sculpture from http://www.derekhugger.com/colibri.html

Spent the afternoon looking for hardware, which I'm struggling to get without paying through the nose or ordering from the States and getting stung on postage. Anyone else built the model and can share where they sourced the hardware from. I could probably source metric equivalents but I'm struggling on the bearings to get all the correct dimensions.

I am in Houston next month. if you want them bringing back, it won't be a problem. I am waiting for confirmation on the dates, but it will be at the end of the month. same for other bits that you need- as long as they don't weigh a tonne!

David
Are you making it by hand/bandsaw/scroll saw or by CNC?
If by hand i would convert all tubes and bearings fasteners to metric.
Looking forward to a wip
Ian
Rod ends are easily available in metric

marcros":198dgkxe said:
I am in Houston next month. if you want them bringing back, it won't be a problem. I am waiting for confirmation on the dates, but it will be at the end of the month. same for other bits that you need- as long as they don't weigh a tonne!

I might take you up on that if I can't find anything suitable. I'll see how far I can get sourcing the other items. I few places sell the Low Socket Head Cap Screws but you have to buy 50 or a 100, and in the one size you only need 1!

flh801978":198dgkxe said:
David
Are you making it by hand/bandsaw/scroll saw or by CNC?
If by hand i would convert all tubes and bearings fasteners to metric.
Looking forward to a wip
Ian
Rod ends are easily available in metric

The wood parts will be done by CNC. I can convert to metric fairly easily (famous last words) but those rod ends are proving difficult for the size in metric. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough!

Hoping to do a WIP but I want to get at least 1/2 of the hardware first so it doesn't become a WIP that takes over a year lol

6064 bearings are a standard item and should be available from any bearing factors or at the last resort an automotive parts supplier. Try Bearingboys in the UK

beech1948":5rfgb5ev said:
6064 bearings are a standard item and should be available from any bearing factors or at the last resort an automotive parts supplier. Try Bearingboys in the UK

Googling 6064 bearings brings up the wrong type of bearing. Is 6064 a rod end bearing as this is what I'm looking for. There is only the two types in the plans; needle bearings which I can get and rod end bearings which I'm struggling. I have emailed McMaster Carr for an accurate shipping cost.

edit. just noticed my part number has 6064 in it but Google brings up nothing similar.

I've attached the rod end specs from the manual. Those linked are all female, I'll have another look through the site and see, but I think I looked through them all. Thanks for the help it's appreciated.

Attachments

• rodend.jpg
    rodend.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 80
Have you tried dearching for 'Rose Joints' a common trade name for them...

Pretty small size, model engineering/radio controlled gear perhaps?

Hitch":3fzabx2s said:
Have you tried dearching for 'Rose Joints' a common trade name for them...

Pretty small size, model engineering/radio controlled gear perhaps?

Ah no! Never heard of them being called that but I'll jump on it thanks :D

Treated myself to the set of plans from Derek Hugger for his Colibri Kinetic Sculpture from Colibri - An Organic Motion Sculpture

Spent the afternoon looking for hardware, which I'm struggling to get without paying through the nose or ordering from the States and getting stung on postage. Anyone else built the model and can share where they sourced the hardware from. I could probably source metric equivalents but I'm struggling on the bearings to get all the correct dimensions.
Did you ever find 60645K98?
Am having same problem

Treated myself to the set of plans from Derek Hugger for his Colibri Kinetic Sculpture from Colibri - An Organic Motion Sculpture

Have a look at Simplybearings they have a good team to get items from: Rod End Bearings: Rod End Locknuts & Welding Shanks
Found them but they told me they can’t help!

Hi

If it's the needle bearing you need, they are also called SCE45 and are available here: SCE45 Needle Roller Bearing 1/4x7/16x5/16" | The Bearing Company

Could you do me a favour in return - I'll pm?

Back