Colchester Lathes Company

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The world turns on Colchester Lathes :)

My father has fond memories of Colchesters, particularly the Triumph 2000s. When I bought my CVA MK1 he said "It's no 2000 though", but when he got using it he suddenly changed his tune "Hey, this isn't too bad!" :lol:

lol utube been ramming that vid down my throat for the at the top of every recommended list
:)

Droogs":1znlmzb7 said:
lol utube been ramming that vid down my throat for the at the top of every recommended list
:)

Same for me, kept trying to get me to watch it.

Back in 1977, I sat 2 entrance exams in one week to become an apprentice. One of the exams was for Colchester Lathes.
I passed both exams and had to choose which company I wanted to work for, but chose the other company. One of my mates sat the same two exams as i did and he chose Colchester Lathes.

The Colchester Lathes factory is no longer there and a Tescos now occupies the site. Incidently, in the video linked to above, there is mention of Gamet bearings and they still exist and their office/site is directly across the road from the old Colchester Lathes site.

Colchester's are still in business, as part of the 600 Group, and now based in Elland in Yorkshire. I gather that the higher-grade machines are still assembled and finished in the UK, with the more standard lines manufactured in China under Colchester supervision. The product range is broader than just centre lathes, with the Tornado CNC turning centres being a particular favourite with industry.

https://www.colchester.co.uk/

Sorry CC,..I was referring to the factory site in Colchester. It is 200mtrs round the corner from me...
Gamet Bearings are also part of the 600 group..

Back