Coin

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

artie

Sawdust manufacturer.
Reaction score
Anyone know what this is?

Attachments

• coin.jpg
    coin.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 154
  • coin2.jpg
    coin2.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 151
Face value was 5/- now 25p. In highest Brilliant Un-circulated condition ~£600 - yours is 'Fair' to 'Poor' ~ £5 - (that's not an offer :))

Apologies - I hadn't considered the 'scrap' value :(

In UNC condition there would be 0.91oz total weight and the Ag content is 92.5% so about 0.84oz which is ~24g With the amount of wear there is I suspect that you might recover about 20g and at today's price of ~£605/kg that's about £12 but I doubt that a dealer would stump up more than a tenner.

It's a 'luck penny' keep it, then pass it on to another new born in the family. I always remember my father putting a coin in the pram of any new child in the family.

Very nice thing to have. I guess it's been in (some part of) your family for a while already.
In the loft yesterday I "found" it in a box of old stuff that hadn't seen the light of day for a long time.

It doesn't say on it what it is but I suspected it was my crown, and needed confirmation.

I have no intention of parting with it, if for no other reason. than it won't decrease in value whereas the cash would.

I can't ask anyone about it as I am now one of the oldest surviving family members.

I may clean it and put it back in the loft.

According to google 5s was roughly an hours wage for a factory worker the year I was born.

What percentage of the £5 value do you think I would wipe out. lol
My point was poorly made but essentially the coin has an intrinsic value purely from the amount of silver it contains but also has a value to a numismatist - though serious ones only want 'BU' or better specimens - by cleaning it you are likely to remove any premium a collector might pay.

you suggested a value of £5 well under the value of the silver content, What exact premium are you talking about?

I'm not being funny, if you know anything about this subject, could you put your feet on the ground and share?

Back