Coffins

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harbo

In Memorium
Reaction score
I am involved in making some funeral arrangements and was quite surprised to find that the so called environmental friendly coffins (wool, wicker etc) are more than twice as expensive as a "traditional" wood type!
Even the cardboard ones are more expensive.
The wicker ones that I saw were made from banana or water hyacinth - I'd always assumed they were willow or hazel?

Rod

That's interesting about the wicker coffins - does it mean that they are imported from the same country that we import everything else from, where labour is a lot cheaper?

Andy - probably - I didn't ask the source,
the price put me off!

Nev - that's an interesting link, thanks.

Rod

Both of my grandfathers were buried in natural coffins. The first 8 years ago in wicker and the second in sea grass last year. We were told they have stopped using willow or hazel because it squeaks which some people find upsetting at times of bereavement. The urn was matching sea grass and looks wonderful. I think that the added expense was worth it both in quality and dignity.

Just throw me on the slab and set fire to me. I wouldn't give a rats buttocks about even having a coffin when im dead and would be very annoyed if my family spent money they couldn't afford or would be put to better use.

I'm with you HC. What's the use of mega spending for firewood? And if anyone tried to bring religion into it I do believe that if there is anyone 'up there' they will send down the fire toot-sweet :mrgreen:

Stroud, where we used to live before moving over, was the place for cardboard jobbies. No idea what they cost though?

The coffin isn't for the person inside, it's for everyone else at the funeral. Would you be happy to see a loved one thrown on a slab and set on fire? Spending money on dealing with the loss of a loved one in a dignified way is not a waste of money. The funeral is the first step in dealing with loss.

I had a cavalier attitude to my own funeral arrangements until I had to arrange my wife's funeral a couple of months ago. Angie was buried in a woven willow coffin and it looked perfect. It really helped us to see it looking so beautiful, and it was important that it came from a sustainable source. Did squeak a bit though.

I know some of the comments here are meant in a light-hearted way, just a bit raw at the moment.

Jonzjob":3tn5sfdr said:
Dreadfully sorry for your loss Mike and as you say, my comment was meant in a light hearted way. I can understand why it's more than a bit raw at the moment.

Please accept my condolances.

Don't worry, just hitting out a bit. Not your fault at all, as I said, I was quite cavalier about funerals, but found it was a great help to family and friends. Feel bad about biting, but I reckon you're up to it!

I'm a bit up and down at the moment.

No hard feelings.

Mike

You're quite right Mike, funerals are for the benefit of those left behind, for whom their value and importance is considerable.

my old man was very involved with electronics, and his coffin last year had chasing LED strips.

adidat

Back