Coffee 'Taple'

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam Pinson

Established Member
Reaction score
Glass topped coffee table, tape is made from sliced almond disks.
IMG_20200907_074202.jpg

I can't get any sense of the scale of that. Is it full sized, or for a doll's house? If it's full sized, it goes into the "fun, interesting, but wouldn't want it in my house" category I'm afraid. What is the black wood?

Would that come under the heading of "kitsch"? Really well done, but I don't like it. That's just me, not a failure of the work...if I come away from the average art gallery having found one painting I like, I have done well. At the Prado in Madrid I found three, which is a record. Says more about me than the art.

Mr Neophyte
ur not wrong at all.....most art stuf is carp anyway.....
been to a few little art shows where the artist exhibits......there's some cleaver people out there....
mostley tho it's aduts pretending to be 4 year olds.....
Elephants can do better than most......
I always think of "the Emperor's new clothes"

I can't get any sense of the scale of that. Is it full sized, or for a doll's house? If it's full sized, it goes into the "fun, interesting, but wouldn't want it in my house" category I'm afraid. What is the black wood?
Depends how big ones doll is, some are life size, ... Anyway this approx 90cm x 60cm, (the exact proportions of a tape cassette) the black wood is tinted pine, it was a commission for someone who likes retro, kitch things, her house is very interesting and not boring at all.

I wouldn't give it house room but love it, (y) A great talking point for the owner.

Judging by the comments here I guess you are the older crowd, I'll take that into consideration when posting and look for some of my more ' plain' works maybe.

Judging by the comments here I guess you are the older crowd, I'll take that into consideration when posting and look for some of my more ' plain' works maybe.

No don't be like that Adam! It's nice :)

Tell us more about how it's made.

I'm not sure where the cut off is but I'd consider myself part of the younger crowd. I can't say I "like" the table but I can certainly appreciate the skill in its construction and for one, would be interested to understand how you put it together if you have any WIP photos?

Absolutely not, please.
There are many things in life which are very appreciable, in their crafsmanship and/or
originality, and even beauty. Appreciating something does not neccesarily mean that I
would wish to posess it.
:)

No don't be like that Adam! It's nice :)

Tell us more about how it's made.
It's purely an observation, feeling the crowd if you like, it's just I create many different things, just finding what's right for here... I'll try to find some progress piks, cheers

Age has nothing to do with personal taste. I admire the work put in, and if I had seen it in a gallery i might well have looked for several seconds, but I wouldnt have bought it 50 years ago, same as I wouldnt buy it now.

Age has nothing to do with personal taste. I admire the work put in, and if I had seen it in a gallery i might well have looked for several seconds, but I wouldnt have bought it 50 years ago, same as I wouldnt buy it now.
Well I didn't say fuddy duddy, I just find it a little odd to keep saying 'i wouldn't put it in my house' ..even if one wouldn't, maybe that's just me.... I mean I wouldn't put everything I make in my house either ha ha

It's a really difficult thing, commenting on the aesthetics of other people's work. It crops up all the time here and on other woodworking forums. Because we all have widely varying tastes, but are gathered together in this group by our common love of woodwork, we get to see lots of stuff which is admirable from all sorts of points of view, but that we really don't like. Do you not comment at all, or do you show an interest in the woodwork, but not the result?

My personal bete noir is far eastern stuff, along with Krenov-style pieces. I really actively dislike them all. However, I love to see people doing proper woodwork, and beautifully crafting such things is something I'd want to encourage every day of the week. So how do you respond when someone posts a Japanese chest of drawers which is stunningly well made and beautifully finished, but that you hate? It's difficult.

Last edited:
@Adam Pinson

Please, keep showing us what you can do! I certainly couldn't manage anything to that level of quality, and I wouldn't have ever considered it as as a concept. Push the boundaries, push our comfort levels, force the old fuddy-duddies (that would be me) to think differently. Better to have a strong reaction than none at all (imagine the embarrassment of producing utterly indifferent work).

In the right setting, this will be perfect. It will fit right in. I, on the other hand, wouldn't fit in to that setting. As I mentioned above: this says a lot more about me than about your work.

@Adam Pinson

Please, keep showing us what you can do! I certainly couldn't manage anything to that level of quality, and I wouldn't have ever considered it as as a concept. Push the boundaries, push our comfort levels, force the old fuddy-duddies (that would be me) to think differently. Better to have a strong reaction than none at all (imagine the embarrassment of producing utterly indifferent work).

In the right setting, this will be perfect. It will fit right in. I, on the other hand, wouldn't fit in to that setting. As I mentioned above: this says a lot more about me than about your work.
Please don't get me wrong, I have no issues with critique good or bad, woodcraft is one of my second arts drawing with Colour pencils being primary focus, I've been involved with many arts sites over the years and have given and received many comments ... It was just strange to see the I wouldn't put it in my house sentence a few times over... Maybe it's different in the craft field than the visual arts arena, I mean I have no idea what the rest of your house looks like so I find just that sentence alone a little vague, as I said I've not been on an old styled forum like this before, Maybe it takes time to learn to drive it, I don't mean to offend anyone... Btw I'm no spring chicken either 😁

It's a really difficult thing, commenting on the aesthetics of other people's work. It crops up all the time here and on other woodworking forums. Because we all have widely varying tastes, but are gathered together in this group by our common love of woodwork, we get to see lots of stuff which is admirable from all sorts of points of view, but that we really don't like. Do you not comment at all, or do you show an interest in the woodwork, but not the result?

My personal bete noir is far eastern stuff, along with Krenov-style pieces. I really actively dislike them all. However, I love to see people doing proper woodwork, and beautifully crafting such things is something I'd want to encourage every day of the week. So how do you respond when someone posts a Japanese chest of drawers which is stunningly well made and beautifully finished, but that you hate? It's difficult.
Hi Mike G, critique can be tricky yes and I'm certainly no expert, I suppose if I genuinely find the end result of something unappealing I don't say anything unless there is a certain element in technique that I find intriguing..

Latest posts

Back