Coffee Table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John. B

Established Member
Reaction score
Occasional Table in Sapele:

Occtablepartdone.jpg

Overall height 555mm.
Table top Diameter 300mm.

Critique welcome.

John. B

Wow ,John B ,thats a reall beaut lovely clean lines very crisp looking =D>
You got a super looking finish on it as well really impressive .
A very usful addition to the household methinks and quite a few brownee points as well
Thanks for showing.

That's a lovely item, makes me want to have a go. Would I be right in thinking the legs are screwed and plugged through the 'stem', as opposed to sliding dovetailed?

Hello Mike,

You are partially correct, they are in fact mortise and Tenon, but as the Tenons are quite short they are glued

and reinforced with a screw deep countersunk with a turned button covering each hole.

John. B

Wow. I usually feel quite unqualified to comment on people's work but that is a beautiful table I would love to own. The whole thing is beautifully designed - esecially the legs with their fluting (correct term?...) .. and the little buttons/plugs.

I would love to see a w.i.p of that....how did you get the fluting?

A nice traditional piece, and looks beautifully finished.It's always refreshing to see something that little bit different being posted.

Ian

not sure why I always feel an element of concern when I try to give honest critique but here goes -

1. love the overall impression - would want the piece in my living room ( not just just saying this!)
but
2. there are 3 places in the piece where lines are used as decoration - and they don't seem to match
3. on the single spindle there are a couple of 'similar but different' forms that would, I think, be better if they matched. The beads above and below the leg attachments are an example of a great match.
4. the table top itself looks in proportion but is overweighted by the bit below it.

John. B":gyk7ze7w said:
Thank you Ian,
So I made this!
It's locked to lathe bed much the same way as the Tailstock.

Nice jig. Presumably you could use that for fluting as well?

I would love to have a go at making something like this piece - but the legs would put me off. Just couldn't bear to waste that much wood in offcuts!!

Latest posts

Back