Coffee Table Project

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philly

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All
Finally finished a coffee table for the front room. You may (or may not) remember a thread a little while ago where I asked for advice on joining the top to the sides on this particular design. Well, I chickened out on the double dovetail idea and went with a basic single tenon (kinda thing :roll: ). I think it worked out well designwise, and it fits in well with the decor of the living room.
DSCF0094.jpg

The top and legs are made from a single plank of spalted poplar. Yandles yet again came up with a lovely plank (cost about £30), and the drawer fronts and backs were Zebrano (an offcut I've had hanging around the shop for years). The drawers were made from solid US poplar and dovetailed on the Littlerat-probably overkill (as I fitted full extension runners) but a nice touch.
DSCF0015.jpg

The Missus didn't want handles on the drawer fronts so I overlapped the bottom edges by 10mm as fingerpulls. She is very happy with the design so thats me in the "Safety-Zone"! :lol:
The finish was Chestnuts "finishing oil" which has got to be my favourite finish. More wiping varnish than oil, it sets up hard and clear leaving a durable, water resistent finish. I like it!
I have put full step-by-step photo's on my website...
http://www.philsville.co.uk/coffee_table.htm
So, another project bites the dust. Next up is some built-in cupboards/bookcases for the spare room. MDF anyone?? :wink:
Cheers
Philly :D

Wow!!!!!

Certainly came out nice :shock: I love the single board for the drawers, with such a strong grain pattern, this is really important and looks great.

Only one question. How did you kmake it so quickly :shock: :shock:

Very nice Philly.

Will it set in the same room as the "Krenov" cabinet? The styles are very different.

Andy

More quality work from Dorset :)

I like the clean lines of the design, and the joinery is a great match.

I really like that coffee table Philly. The design is modern without being trendy, it's practical and it's well made.

Gill

S'good, Phil. =D> I like it, and I didn't exactly expect to. 8-[ The Zebrano drawer backs are presumably attached to the rear of the carcass as false fronts?

Cheers, Alf

It looks really good, Philly!

So what are you doing next? MDF did I read? For projects that will be painted, there's nothing like it. Machines well, wear a mask, taking detail really good.

Hi Philly,

I showed my wife your table and she really likes the Zebrano. I had picked up some years back and could not really talk her into using it for one of our own projects.

Seeing it in that shot which also includes a bit of the mantle she is now trying to think of what to make from it.

She said to pass along her compliments on your table...so consider it passed...

MikeW

Thanks for all your positive comments, Folks! :D
I'm glad the table came out o.k. (and it seems to be "wife-friendly"! :lol: ) so a bit of a result. Drawing the project up in CAD was a great help as the Missus could give it the thumbs up before I start making sawdust.
Alf-the drawer "backs" are just glued onto the rear of the drawer frame. I used hot melt glue for this as it gives a good bond BUT is a little bit flexable allowing the timber to move. Might not be Trad woodworking but if it works...... :lol:
Andy-the "Krenov" cabinet is in a diferent room so no style clashes! :wink:
Oh, and when using Zebrano it is quite "hilarious" to watch it coming out of the planer with tear-out like the "Grand Canyon".......... :shock: :roll:
Bring on the MDF...
Philly :D

Back