Coffee Table and Wall Mirror in American Black Walnut

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhwbigley

Established Member
Reaction score
For my second to last module in my final year of my BA (Hons) in Furniture Making at Leeds College of Art I produced a coffee table and a wall mirror. I was looking to design and make a high quality batch producible coffee table and mirror that could be sold through galleries and small furniture retailers. The idea being that it would be a small, high quality and competitively priced item of furniture that I could produce in small batches in my own workshop once I have graduated.

The coffee table is made from American Black Walnut (Juglans Nigra). Interest is added with Ebony (Dispyros) wedges and pegs, they are functional and decorative. Each componment of the table is light and elegant but still provides a robust table. The three round dowel sections running under the table top provide storage for magazines and other items.

IMG_3048.jpg

IMG_3063.jpg

IMG_3064.jpg

IMG_3065.jpg

IMG_3066.jpg

IMG_3067.jpg

IMG_3068.jpg

IMG_3069.jpg

IMG_3071.jpg

IMG_3074.jpg

The wall mirror is made from American Black Walnut (Juglans Nigra) with Ebony (Disospyros) pegs in its corners. The top and bottom rails of the mirror have a curved profile to allow the mirror to become one with the wall.

IMG_3084.jpg

IMG_3087.jpg

IMG_3088.jpg

Thanks

J H

DeanN":1rig6eb3 said:
The mirror is very nice - I'd certainly have it hanging on my wall.
+1..what makes it good (IMO) is the choice in orientation of the grain, 'specially at the top. Not sure about the coffee table though.... - Rob

Thank you all for the kind words. I like how the table turned out so much I made a second as a 'keeper'.

JH

The mirror is great!
please excuse my untrained eye on the table.. either you're very tall or it's been made 3/4 size? looks like it could easily be knocked over...interested in how you arrived at your choice of styling especially with the rounded legs?

I like the mirror very much, very stylish and understated, but am not so keen on the table, it may have been better with curved ends (but a lot more difficult to make).

Cheers
Aled

P.S. You need to clean the sensor on your camera!

Very elegant designs - I like them.

I was going to say that the spacing on the magazine rack was too large but looking at the model, unless he is 7' tall, the table is quite small?

Rod

hi sorry to pour cold water on your at work i would think there is not any difference to a lot of other on the market very well made and the timber looks very nice and good grain, you can talk it up, i read your blurb before looking at the picture and was disappointed the table looked very light weight
the mirror is nice but like i say i don't see any different to lot of others i have seen else where .
sorry but i thought it best to just be honest rather that just patting you on the back.
i am now going to hide.
pip

I thought the table was a nice design, and certainly the workmanship is fine. But it might have looked even better, had it been larger.
I'm not sure about the magazine rack. You would have to remember to place magazines 'across' the dowels. The 'Glossies' tend to be 'slippy', and curl easily, and I think you could be picking them up from beneath the table a lot; unless you have more closely spaced runners; say five of them? Just a thought if you make another of these tables.

I like the mirror, and I too would have it on my wall. :)

I like the look of both very much - classic, yet elegant modern twist, esp the mirror.
Do agree that the magazine storage dowels may need to be a little closer to stop the Mrs' chic-lit falling through as it piles up, (woodturning mags have to be hidden a box!).
What sort of price would you expect to sell these for?

Back