Coffee beans recommendation?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rave coffee in Cirencester, their seasonal espresso is out now which is quite nice, or they have a range of single origins.

Second City Coffee.
Dex runs the small business with a passion for coffee. He only sells what he knows is good and there isn't a single bean that he stocks that I wouldn't quite happily sit and drink.
He is also very passionate about fair trade and supporting the coffee origins and not because it's cool to do so.

https://www.secondcitycoffee.co.uk/
having tried many (and I mean many) different roasters and suppliers, he is one of the first were I didn't feel like he was talking down to me. there are others I'll happily recommend, but only after recommending SCC. :)

my favourite at the moment is extract. Extract Coffee | Coffee, Tea, Hot Chocolate | Delivered to your door

they have 30% off coupons from time to time. I am about to start some pantano espresso. I buy by the kg and have tried several- not regretted any of them.

if you are thinking of a subscription, I am a member of a coffee forum and they do one each month. they rotate around roasters but I have had some excellent offerings on that. it seems better than the formal subscriptions on offer online.

Happy Donkey. I buy 6 kilos at a time, It isn't super-fancy chin-stroking coffee (nothing wrong with that, mind) but it is very consistent, and very reasonably priced *good* coffee.

Hot Numbers, Cambridge. They have a place in Melbourn so might be close to you if you are in North Essex.

I've used coffee direct in the past, huge variety and if you sign up to a 6 month deal with different variety sent each month it pushes you into unknown territory which can be a good thing.

Any recommendations for coffee beans from a small independent shop / roaster.
Cheers
Coming back down to earth..... It depends on what you're looking for by way of output and the process you'll be using to produce your 'ideal' coffee. I've used an espresso maker (Gaggia Classic) for more that 20 years now. It requires that you have ground coffee to hand (buying it or grinding it yourself). The latter gives you far better control over the coarseness of the grind of course. Over the years I've used beans that were straight from the shelf in a coffee shop and sourced 'special' beans that cost a bomb. Then I found that Lidl did espresso beans several times each year and tried them. Although I considered that I could tell a good bean from one that was less than good, the Lidl beans, subject to a fine grind were just as good as anything else at twice the price. At the end of the day it's a matter of your budget and any difference in taste you can perceive. I love a thick, rich cream, and I can get that time after time. Good brewing!!

You mean you aren't willing to spend 20 quid for a 1lb bag of coffee with a "cool" name and more merchandise then the first 3 starwars movies?

https://www.deathwishcoffee.com/
no, oh, ok, I guess I can't recommend them then (along with a whole host of other reasons, including having never tried it, I refer you to point 1 above).

The coffee world has to be one of the most bizarre worlds to get involved with.

I'll stick to drinking what I like, which is quite often what ever espresso bean sainsbury has in their own brand this week with the occasional splurge to SCC when I'm feeling flush. I don't have a high end espresso machine either, shock horror I use a aero press and a hand powered "espresso" maker at home and a 75 quid john lewis espresso machine at home. all make a more than acceptable cup of coffee for me.

Haha that's great as it's exactly how I feel, I think I know what I'm tasting and what I like and want to like a decent coffee.. But I do like the average bean lol..
I work with some of the 'chin stroking' coffee drinkers, I've tried some of theirs It reminds me of hot marmite! Lol..
They took my to Monmouth in Borough Market, it was like a performance when they made the coffee, I took one sip and passed it on.. Too strong in the back of the throat for me,
I recently had some from The hot numbers in Cambridge £9 for 260g, it had a chocolate milky tone which is nice.
I'm definitely going to try the lidl after this post.

I suppose it's a bit like beer, I pretend like know what I like but in reality I'll drink anything on the pumps hahah....

Cheers for all the suggestions, this is such a great forum 👍

You mean you aren't willing to spend 20 quid for a 1lb bag of coffee with a "cool" name and more merchandise then the first 3 starwars movies?

no, oh, ok, I guess I can't recommend them then (along with a whole host of other reasons, including having never tried it, I refer you to point 1 above).

I'll stick to drinking what I like, which is quite often what ever espresso bean sainsbury has in their own brand this week with the occasional splurge to SCC when I'm feeling flush. I don't have a high end espresso machine either, shock horror I use a aero press and a hand powered "espresso" maker at home and a 75 quid john lewis espresso machine at home. all make a more than acceptable cup of coffee for me.
I tried that death wish the other day, it gave me palpitations! Hahaha

to paraphase a whisky drinkers quote "the best coffee is the coffee you like, the best way to drink it, is the way you drink it"

cut out all the hyperbole and drink what the hell you want.

oh dear, deathwish sounds like I was right to avoid it. thanks for the heads up.

This is such a minefield. Because I like espresso in Italy, Germany, Switzerland (places I have to go to periodically) I became convinced that I needed a proper coffee machine. As I like machinery I bought a really cool (IMO) rocket double boiler. This is it:

Screenshot 2020-11-18 at 10.44.14.png

Love it. Fabulous kitchen ornament. (We'll come to that). My plumber friend is very big on coffee - he even roasts his own beans. I've tried all sorts of stuff. Based on his recommendation I am currently on Monsoon Malabar from coffee-direct.co.uk. It's very nice. Good aroma, taste and crema.

However, I drink at least 8 short cups of coffee a day. Most days all 8 of them come from my cheap Nespresso machine, using L'Or aluminium pods (usually on offer at the supermarket). I am happy with the convenience, speed and taste. Bit pricey. Worth it for the convenience.

To add insult to banality, I have fitted out our new kitchen (not yet in use) mainly with high end gear bought ex-display (so very cheap) from a kitchen showroom that fell on hard times. I didn't actually want this, but it included a built in Miele bean to cup machine, that does automatic cappuccinos etc. I am told they are brilliant, so I built it into the design and plumbed it in. I've yet to use it mind you. It even has a cup warming drawer. Ideal for hot pants in winter?

The whole coffee journey has taught me what I also finally learnt about wine (I used to buy so called good stuff en primeur). It's just a drink. Usually I'm doing something else as I drink it. I am totally happy with cheap beans and don't get any extra value from expensive beans or, sadly, expensive machines.

I'll be keeping the Rocket as I just like the look of it. A bag of beans may last me a few years....

I treated myself to an upgrade from my pod machine a year or so ago and I haven't looked back. After much research, I went for the gaggia classic and a hand grinder, from when they were made in italy. Coffee (particularly espresso) is a rabbit hole though and it would be easy to believe that my £100 machine must be upgraded to a machine costing thousands, and an equally expensive grinder.

I am learning about coffee. Decent beans typically cost me a little more than the supermarket but buying by the kilo means that it isn't much more. Once in a while I pay £30 a kilo instead of aiming for £20. I drink less now to keep the cost down a bit, since I bought the machine to save money on buying takeaway coffee (which I rarely actually did).

If I am away, coffee and coffee preparation stuff is the luxury item that I take, even when travelling light. My little grinder and the aeropress make slumming it all the more bearable.

I’m a longstanding Nespresso user recently re-introduced to filter coffee by Northern Cobbler (coffee and shoes) in Leicester. Their house blends are pleasant, their website informative (to a novice like me at least) and their online service efficient. Beans or ground available. I have not compared their products or prices with other sources.
[email protected]

It's not so much that I won't pay the exorbitant prices that some 'coffee-shops' charge, because on rare occasions it is quite nice to sit in a pleasant environment and enjoy a quite average cup of Cappuccino with friends. However, when it comes to making a really good cup of coffee at home, which doesn't cost the proverbial arm and leg, then, as I said I'm content with Lidls espresso beans ground to suit my machine and my taste. Am I a coffee snob, don't think so, just a little picky when offered what tastes more like a cup of frothy skimmed milk. Hey ho, keep on coffeeing!

Back