cocobolo supply

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No skills":1egjafos said:
Anybody brought some cocobolo recently? any uk suppliers that are internet enabled?

As a side question whats it like to work with?

Cheers

Try Robert at TIMBERLINE.

Cocobolo is one of my most favourite woods and it turns and polishes beautifully...

This is a nice little piece I picked up on FleaBay...

DSC_0066.JPG

The turned handle and the piece it came from...

DSC_0089.JPG

I need to make an infill with this stuff...

DSC_0110.JPG

It has beautiful colouring and grain pattern and it darkens with age.

Jim

The wood and the dust is classed as an irritant and a sensitiser. Some people develop an allergy to it and can't go anywhere near it any more.
See this websitefor details.

If anybody has developed an allergy and cant go near it anymore, get somebody to send me their timber, for medical reasons of course...

Paul Hannaby":2pqjxb41 said:
The wood and the dust is classed as an irritant and a sensitiser. Some people develop an allergy to it and can't go anywhere near it any more.
Yeah, sadly it often seems to get the toolmakers. Philly, for one, if I recall correctly. Gorgeous end result though. (The wood; not the incapacitated toolmaker, of course!)

When I know I'm going to work on any wood which is even slightly suspected of sensitizing then I put on a DRY barrier cream. I do it after a shower so that I don't miss any part of my exposed skin.

Failure to do so once resulted in a very obvious reaction...

Image0054.jpg

I think that was my initial work with cocobolo that did that...so it is dodgy for Smurfs too! :mrgreen:

Also and fairly obviously, wear a good respirator.

Jim

I've only used it a few times and so far OK?
Mike Wenzloff was another tool maker who had to stop working with it.
Very sad as it is a lovely looking wood.
I bought mine from Yandles but it's not cheap?

Rod

Jim

Thats a very hand site, thank you. That piece certainly turned very nicely.

Should I be mad enough to use some of this (very) beautiful wood I will be very carefull, I have a bit of a bad chest at the moment as is - dont want to worsen it through being my normal sloppy self.

As ever, thanks all.

8)

I think I am correct in writing that world trade in cocobolo has now been banned by a 2013 CITES agreement, no doubt because the Central American tree is an endangered species. So supplies here in the UK will probably dwindle and this lovely wood will likely disappear from the range of exotic timbers we occasionally get to work with here.
About a dozen years ago I imported a large amount of cocobolo for my own personal use. I purchased it from a USA based, ethically sound, company which had salvaged the wood from Nicaragua and Costa Rica after Hurricane Mitch had passed through the area bowling hundreds of thousands of trees over. I have never had a problem with any adverse physical reaction while working with this rare rosewood, but that is not to say that others do or will. Some folk can't eat shellfish while others can't get enough of it.
I found Cocobolo would blunt tools incredibly quickly because of its high silica content, it is difficult to glue because of its high oil content, and most finishes will just sit wet on its surface doing nothing. The best and almost the only finish I found which worked was an Australian product called Arboroil, produced by those inventive Aussie chaps who make all manner of powered carving tools. That all stated, cocobolo is in my view the most fascinating and most exquisitely beautiful wood there is. Nothing comes close to having its range of colours and grain patterns. It truly is wonderful stuff and its beauty far outweighs the various challenges of working with it.
I still have a fair bit left from my original stash so if anyone wants to work with it but is having difficulty sourcing
cocobolo, do get in touch. In fact I might advertise a few pieces in the 'for sale' section sometime soon.
Best wishes,
Chris

Attachments

• 02redondo-1.jpg
    02redondo-1.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 75
  • 03redondo-2.jpg
    03redondo-2.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 75
  • 07cocobolo_leg.jpg
    07cocobolo_leg.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 74