Coach Screw v Coach Bolt

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDW

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm building the frame for my first workbench from 2x4's and I wanted to ask what's best, coach bolts (nice clean finish but thread and nut and washer sticking out on the inside) or coach screws (heads sunk in and nothing protruding on t'other side).

Or C.. Doesnt matter, equally strong.

Ta very much.

Jim

I'd go for the coach screws with the heads, as you suggest, below the surface of the frame. When I built my bench I used coach screws seated in a hole just a shade larger than the OD of the socket I used to tighten the hex heads - AND put a washer under the head so that the head didn't rip the wood when being tightened (and tightened again later when there had been a small amount of shrinkage in the timber frame)

I'd use coach bolts and nuts stronger and easier to take apart.

Non brand coach screws have a habit of shearing so use high quality screw if you do...

I don't see much difference in finish.

A coach screw has an ugly hex head (which you can recess) - the other end is completely hidden.

A coach bolt has an ugly hex nut (which you can recess) - the other end is slightly rounded.

The coach bolt has more clamping force. When using coach (or engineers) bolts I try to get the correct length so there not too much thread protruding - and if there is I'll usually cut it off (and clean up any rough edges).

Cheers, Vann.

I used lengths of studding years ago and you can put a phenomenal pressure this way. I cannot remember how I did now as I may have used dry biscuits as I put studding across each end frame and lengthways. Working on your own it can be difficult sometimes. You really need a bench to make bench. You can nip them up as they settle. Just a thought for you. Studs were recessed into runners and frames. Frames such that you can sit your top on without fixing it down. Rely on weight and recess bolt heads. Best wishes.

It doesn't take much to hold the top down, if you think about it, any fixing is only there to prevent a rebound, a bounce. My bench is one piece other than the top baulks which are fixed down with angle iron brackets (commercial) and coach screws - when I built it I knew it would have to be moved, so I spaced the brackets a little from the top leaving a gap and put four washers on every screw so when it was moved it I re assembled it with three ......... then two, now one. That allows the screws to bite a bit better rather than loosening.

Back