CNC molding service

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScottGoddard

Established Member
Reaction score
apologies probably not the best title...

I need to laminate (going to steam bend) some oak and would like the mold to be built for me - does anyone know of service, or provides it on here? The mold would be for the cruved sides of the attached pdf..

Attachments

• wood media unit.pdf
    304.5 KB · Views: 0
Ok, I have had alook on the PC now and can see the pdf.
That is quite a lot of bend, I am no expert at steam bending but I know it will require a lot of clamping force so a good sturdy jig will be required.
Will you be doing the bending in sections ( you drawing doesnt show the depth ) or full depth.

I could cnc you an MDF template which you could then use with a bearing guided router to create the pattern. From the steam bending I have seen you only need a template of the inner part then straps and clamps are used to force it around .

Ollie

Hi Oille,

The depth will be 40cm so ill need to make this up from about 4 sections. Shall i message your directly? and the template would be great.

Scott

Several questions arise in my mind.
1. Is it laminating with thin laminae in which case the 40cm is going to be a challenge.
2. Is it to be steam bending with solid wood in which case the 40cm is going to be a challenge.
3. What are the 4 proposed sections.
4. What is the purpose of the item? There may be another solution.
5. What wood is proposed.
Brian

Hi Brian,

Ill be looking to laminate using oak. Each piece will be about 5mm thick and a depth of 15 cm, which ill then build up to achieve the 40cm over depth i need. The purpose is to create the ends of this unit,
122445-wood-media-unit-pdf.png
up about 4 pieces to achieve a thickness of 20mm.

This is how I would make the curved ends. I would use the method I used for my very first laminating project; the curved elements of this bed:-
Bed.jpg

It's a method that can be done at leisure, ie, no panicking to get clamps in place.
A few preliminaries:-
1. The 400mm height is a big ask. I would make 4 x 100's and stack them up.
2. A former is required and I would make it oversize in height, say 125mm
3. The oak laminae need to be oversize, say 110 to allow for cleanup after gluing
4. Use a glue with a long open time and hard-setting, ie , not PVA. I've used Cascomite in the past but Aerolite is the one to go for these days.
5. I don't think steaming is a good idea. In my experience the the oak will distort and make the laminating process unreliable.
6. Good quality straight grained oak will be needed.

The method:-
1. Make a pattern out 6mm MDF. It'll be easy to make this one by bandsaw or jigsaw with hand sanding to finish.

Pattern.JPG

2. Use the pattern to make a number of layers out of thick MDF; enough to stack up to the 125mm height. Router table or spindle moulder required
Block.JPG

3. Make a number of clamps made from threaded rod and wooden blocks:-

Clamp.JPG

4. Clamp the set of laminae centrally to the former. It will pay to have the laminae taped together to keep them in line. Also cover the former with parcel tape to stop any stray glue from adhering.

1st clamping.JPG

5. Start the bending process

Bent clamping.JPG

I've only shown one more clamp here but it would be best to keep the whole process symmetrical and use another clamp on the other side of the centre line . Tighten each clamp a little at a time.

Notes
1. With this method there is no need to do all 4 laminae at the same time. The first 2 can be done and then the final 2 can be added afterwards (or one at a time). This will reduce the clamping forces considerably.
2. Make sure the laminae plenty long enough. Take account of the extra length of the outer layers and add some more..
3 The clamping needs to done well beyond your final design cut off, say another 50mm.
4. It's always difficult to make a good transition from the curved section to the straight bit, so ensure the is a concentration of clamping in those areas.

I hope that is food for thought.
Brian

Attachments

• Bent clamping.JPG
    Bent clamping.JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
What a brilliant reply. To have an illustration of a process is so much easier to follow than step by step written instructions, to have both fantastic.
Thanks. It was something to do on a very hot afternoon. I did a bit of work in the workshop in the morning but soon flaked.
Brian

Back