Cnc milling machine

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodman-46

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

I am on the point of starting up a company and wish to purchase a good quality cnc milling machine. I have looked at various models on the internet. The one that impresses me most is the Pacer Cadet that seems to have everything included such as Vacuum bed and waste removal. Obviously one pays for this sort of specifications. Has anyone got experience with this model or can anyone suggest any others? I shall mainly be using it for cutting shallow apertures in wood and forming my own moulds in EVA (hard foam rubber). It doesn't have to be a big machine , benchtop is all I need.

Thanks in advance

James

Hi MBK

We would not normally want to mill larger than about 8" x 10" surface area and no deeper than about 1/2". Mostly wood and EVA. It would be nice though to have the opportunity to be able to deal with larger areas just in case

Any ideas ?

Thanks

James

Woodman

Forgive my ignorance here. As far as I am aware, CNC milling machines are designed for metal cutting and run the cutter at low speeds generally. Wood working machines run the cuttrers at very high speeds by comparison. Won't this present problems such as burning and tearout?

Tony,

Pacer Cadet: "1.2Kw inverter driven spindle, max speed 24,000 rpm".

How much faster would you want to go! :shock:

Ike

As I said, 'forgive my ignorance'

24,000rpm should do it :wink:

If you're only milling 8x10 then the pacer seems quite large. Have you considered small metal milling machines like the taig, sherline, and the maxnc. You might have to turn your piece to get 8" Y travel but I bet you could get quite a few of these machines for the same price as your pacer cadet. They have a work envelope of 12 x 5 x 6 IIRC and cost about £500 bare in the UK, - you'd need to add another £2-300 for steppers and driver units.

Back