CNC help in Bristol?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sru

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Long shot I know but is there anyone in the general West or SW Bristol area that could help CNC a design into the lid of a project for my daughter?

Making her a ear ring storage unit to keep them away from her cats :) I'd like to engrave a treble cleft into the lid in order to fill it with resin. Sadly, this is way beyond my non existent hand carving skills so thought a CNC option might be a solution. I guess it would only have to be 3-4mm deep or so

Happy to reimburse costs or provide bottle of something :)

Mike

Happy to help too - Chippenham. If you are going to fill with resin it could be a lot shallower. I’d aim for less than a mm.

cheers Chris

Make sure you get epoxy resin, not polyester ( epoxy sticks better, shrinks a bit less )
You might find your local uni or college may be able to help

I was thinking a V carve most likely the best.

Ollie
i tend to do straight sided cut with very small or shallow pours, V cut with larger cuts like these table tops.

69DBC984-DD91-4111-978A-45F1987BFDC1.jpeg
3EC49961-72F8-4EAB-A2C2-F799FA9B9268.jpeg
982D6556-0120-4CD7-A3C3-B329EA1E2CA0.jpeg

i tend to do straight sided cut with very small or shallow pours, V cut with larger cuts like these table tops.

I find that the v carve gives a nice square outside corner, otherwise you are dependant on the size of the bit for minimum radius. I guess it depends a lot on the design itself really. I also quite like the v carve bits with a small flat at the bottom for lettering and stuff.

Ollie

I find that the v carve gives a nice square outside corner, otherwise you are dependant on the size of the bit for minimum radius. I guess it depends a lot on the design itself really. I also quite like the v carve bits with a small flat at the bottom for lettering and stuff.

Ollie
Yes, totally depends on detail levels looked for. With resin pours which are sanded after, detail can be lost if the 2mm depth is too narrow. I use 40 or 60 degree for medium size work, 20 or 30 degree for finer. I think people’s expectation of resin detail is a little over ambitious at times, except in hard woods. Got pictures somewhere of a resin detailed elephant Mandela in teak cut with a 20 degree engraving tip, looked stunning but took three attempts to get it right without removing too much detail on cleanup.

A very small world. Only today my wife was saying she will be contacting the bowls club to find out about their function room. She is secretary of the Shepton Mallet Horticultural Society. I might get to see your handy work in person.
And a very nice function room it is, especially with that it has lots of on-site parking. Drop in one Monday evening for a roll up.

Thank you all, what a fab community :) Chris has kindly offered to help and is fairly close so won't involve anyone posting stuff. I'll post the result here :)

Latest posts

Back