CMT verses Perform

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
The Axminster catalogue stocks both suppliers.
Coming back to my raised panel door set.
CMT stile and rail cutter plus vertical panel cutter = £134
Perform ditto = £74

I can feel the difference but will I see the difference?
Anyone with hands on experience?

DW
I have a few CMT cutters and they ARE worth the extra cash. The cut flawlessly, and they seem to be lasting a goodly while longer than the budget ones I've been using.
Go on-treat yourself! You are worth it (so say the adverts...... :roll: )
regards
Philly :D

Went over to highland tools in Atlanta u.s.a and got a price for the CMT panel cutting set $169 = £100
price in Devon £162.

So somebody must be able to give a good discount?

any ideas?

DW - is it something you're going to use a lot? I agree with Philly about CMT bits - but that is very very pricey. And I find Perform range pretty good.
This is the cheapestset I have seen at £34 - with free delivery at the moment!
I thought you sent your panel raising set back??
Cheers
Gidon

Yes Gideon I have sent back the panel kit, the 3" panel cutter was too big for me to handle . So I'm looking for a vertical panel cutter plus rail and style cutters.
But when I look at the usa and see the vast difference in price I could almost get a day return to New York for ###### and still come back in pocket.
That set at £34 shews there are prices around to look at pity its the 3" cutter.

dw - ok I get it.

devonwoody":3hlmp829 said:
But when I look at the usa and see the vast difference in price I could almost get a day return to New York for ###### and still come back in pocket.

What we really need is one of our friendly US members to set up an Ebay account and flog us stuff direct from the US (of course taking a little cut for him/herself) :lol:.

Cheers

Gidon

To Phily and Gidon,
Please let me on the act.
My friends in the USA refuse to go on the internet. Yet they use their telphone all day. Something about evil I think.

When WoodcutCut Trading were the CMT importer, they did cracking good deals! That's when I got most of my CMT bits. FI, my 5-piece kitchen cabinet set for £139. What are they in Axminster - something horrific no doubt. I then started buying Jesada 'til Axminster switched to CMT. IMHO, Jesada are simply superb bits, mirror polished and even better than CMT with a bigger range. Has anyone seen their 17th century moulding bits BTW?, there are some interesting and unique cutters. The most useful bit I have is a straight bit, a 1-1/2" dia x 2" monster I use for profiling 35mm thick mirror/glass frames etc.

Axminster IMO are guilty of nothing less than gouging with their prices for CMT - it's disgraceful. Although CMT are (pun alert) top notch, I've also found Perform er.. perform as well in normal HOME use. I suspect you might, just might, start to see the difference in quality if doing a LOT of routing.

You won't be buying rubbish when you buy the Perform bits - they're still far better than the Cumquats 'no-name' sets bundled with routers etc.

Ike

Ike,
I agree that if you only use a bit for one or two projects you probably won't notice much difference. So the Perform bits should be fine (i have bought 3- they all cut really nice. Mind you, they haven't had a lot run through them).
The CMT's are real nice though....... :wink:
regards
Philly :D

I agree US prices are usually less but remember they are usually quoted less their local sales tax...UK prices usually include VAT.

If you buy internet or mailorder from "out of state" in the US you wont get charged local sales tax BUT are at risk from UK import duty plus VAT etc :(

I took in a parcel for my neighbour the other day (sent from the USA) and the post office made an additional charge of £13 to pay for their service on collecting the taxes etc.

Perhaps There are suppliers in Europe (EC) who can quote American type prices.

A bit late to this - I've only just registered!

I'm a big fan of Jesada cutters, superb quality and very reasonable prices compared to the competition. They're available in the UK from MTS power tools in Northampton who do them mail order with NO delivery charge and they usually arrive next day.

Graham W

Graham,

There has been an enormous amount of dust raised over Jesada (who were rumoured to have gone bust) and Infinity who phoenix-like arose from the ashes on the wings of one of the Jesada founder's offspring.

In any event enough words pro and con have been written on the subject to make me avoid them both for a year or so. Meanwhile I use Perform for many bits - they are very good value and their edge moulders are second to none. Apart from them I use Wealden for most of my needs now. I do have a lot of CMT cutters but they are overpriced these days.

Chris,

That's interesting, I hadn't heard the rumours and admittedly most of my Jesada cutters date from back when Axminster stocked them. I brought a new Jesada edge moulder this week which is going to have to do about 275 feet of moulding so I'll be interested to see how it compares with the older ones. (And with Perform cutters I have, for I agree, they have a superb range of moulding cutters).

Graham W

I took in a parcel for my neighbour the other day (sent from the USA) and the post office made an additional charge of £13 to pay for their service on collecting the taxes etc.

Perhaps There are suppliers in Europe (EC) who can quote American type prices.

Is the value of your purchase on the box so they just tax on that figure?
Did it bring the price higher than local?

I wonder if the irish post would do that?! they are not that high tech yet! :twisted:

Back