closed handle razee - Mike W?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bugbear

Established Member
Reaction score
Your avatar appears to be a closed handle razee plane. Since my long standing, and long put-off plan is to make a scrub plane in this design, and chance of more and bigger photographs?

BugBear

Hi BB,

You can see to more pics with links to larger versions in this thread, about 2/3 of the way down the page:

Thread is here

I can take more detailed pics and measurements if needed.

It actually, with another sole made for it that was flat and a big mouth opening would "convert" to a nice woodie scrub. Hmmm.

The one sole it didn't come with is the flat sole for the squared blade. So I was going to make that one. Got a variety of rounded blades from which to choose...

Plane could be user made. Still has all the layout lines scribed on it and the soles. It's 12" long, 2" wide. Irons are 1 1/2" wide. Fairly tight mouth. All the sole's mouths line up perfectly.

I wouldn't make a scrub sole for that - scrub use is a little violent.

It's most likely craftsman made - patternmakers tend to be good at woodwork, easily good enough to make a plane :)

A direct profile shot would be nice...

BugBear

Yeah, I know. But I am going to make the missing flat sole. Probably won't use it as much as the larger curved soles, though. Just fills it out.

Yep, I was leaning strongly that the plane itself was user made. Never seen a Marples with layout lines intact (and very few others).

I'll take the shots later against 1/4" graph paper and post it. I'll include measurements as well.

If you have moderate to large hands you might need to modify the handle shape. It does fit mine well, but with the index finger alongside the plane which is how I mostly hold planes anyway.

Back