Close Call.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chunkolini

Established Member
Reaction score
I was using my table router today.
There was an accumulation of shavings near the bit (can you see where we are going kids?)
I absently mindedly see my hand flicking the shavings away, thinking 'n o t a g o o d i d e a' to myself.
FLIP! goes my finger.
Ohhellwhathaveidone.
Sit down feeling sick. Not a mark on the digit, felt like it had been whacked quite hard. There is a lump of hard skin from repeatedly singing (not Singing) the end of the digit when welding.
I was using a straight sided bit, I reckon I must have just caught the body of the bit or back of the blade not the sharp edge.
Feeling sick even now thinking about it.
Pillock.Lucky pillock even.

chunko'.

OMG!!!!
I was dreading the outcome as I read your post......a sigh of relief and the thought "that could of been me, would I have been so lucky???"
Thanks for sharing - a timely reminder
John

oh my you lucky pipper, i left the square chuck key in the four jaw the otherday. then pressed the clutch with the lathe set on the fastest belts very lucky it threw it out in the first revouloution, befroe it had chance to build speed

adidat

Let that be a warning!!!!

By the way years ago I was using a small Black & Decker router clamped in the workbench while trying to put an edge on a length of wood, and yes you've guessed it, second finger of left hand caught the router bit, ouch said I but fortunately it was a small wound, no hospital visit was needed. I am now extra careful, once bitten..... etc etc.

Stew :oops: :oops: :oops:

chunkolini":2ph2mtp1 said:
I was using my table router today.
There was an accumulation of shavings near the bit (can you see where we are going kids?)
I absently mindedly see my hand flicking the shavings away, thinking 'n o t a g o o d i d e a' to myself.
FLIP! goes my finger.
Ohhellwhathaveidone.
Sit down feeling sick. Not a mark on the digit, felt like it had been whacked quite hard. There is a lump of hard skin from repeatedly singing (not Singing) the end of the digit when welding.
I was using a straight sided bit, I reckon I must have just caught the body of the bit or back of the blade not the sharp edge.
Feeling sick even now thinking about it.
Pillock.Lucky pillock even.

chunko'.

Almost an

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/623/ ... qzggho.gif

It does make a thump when your fingers hit the bit :shock: :shock: :shock: , got the tips of three fingers with a round over bit whilst doing something I knew was stupid (but did it any way #-o ). Couldnt look at first, switched off the router and placed it on the floor and walked briskly to the bathroom whilst holding my fingers with the other hand. Got to the sink and took a deep breath, opened my hand and looked - was relived to see I hadnt removed the tops of my fingers, well mangled tho. Should of gone A&E but didnt, just felt sick and very stupid. Never again.

Ouch, but lucky! Lesson learned!

I was cutting some ply with a jigsaw years ago, was only making a quick cut and thought I'd speed things up and not put it in the vice. Making sure my fingers were clear I proceeded, and cut right into my fingers - they were longer than I thought haha. I also nearly lost my whole hand in a machine shop drill press, a slight mistake went very bad very quickly and to add to it, management had never bothered to fit safety guards/emergency stop switch to it. It certainly made a mess of me and I now have no feeling in part of my wrist.

i snagged my thumb in an overhead router before, still have the scar now - but i am hard and it didn't make me feel woozy even when i could see bone!!

However I haven't done it since

The only serious injury that I have had, the tip chopped off one and the top torn off tother, surprised me by not being painful.

Roy.

Had three fingers properly mangled this spring by not using the most basic of safety equipment on the router table. I sincerely hope that was first and last accident. 7 weeks with no shop time = not very fun!
As luck would have it, I grew back nicely but my index finger will never be the same again, I think.
Hospital, stitches and several repeat visits...
Be careful. Employ a "what happens if"- thinking and use a push stick!

Yes, I DO have pic's. No I won't show them. I'll keep them around my machinery as a reminder.

Henning":2uyy3n2v said:
Yes, I DO have pic's. No I won't show them. I'll keep them around my machinery as a reminder.
I made a collage of pictures taken from google images to show family who hammer on the metal doors of my shed to get my attention when I'm using my table saw or router what can happen if I'm distracted / had the sh*t scared out of me by the unexpected deafening boom! They still do it sometimes, but luckily no accidents yet (apart from a nice deep wound from sliding bevel)

I plunged my Domino it to the ends of 2 fingers on my left hand this year. I am very careful always, just one second not thinking. In the end of the middle finger across the top of 2 nails and back underneath in a split second. 9 pain killing injections and a bit of a trim up, x-rays, lots a pain killers and antibiotics. I consider myself incredibly lucky as the nails grew back over the worst of the flesh damage and they look fine. Still sore though. It sure does focus me now when I switch on any machine.

No accident as such but a really close shave. When I was teaching a metalwork class, I set the kids some written work and then went over to the pillar drill to enlarge a hole with a 12mm drill. The job was held in the vice but it wasn't bolted down so after a very short while the drill caught the edge of the hole and threw the whole vice plus job backwards about 8'.
The vice passed between the heads :shock: of two boys who were sat with their backs to me and thumped loudly down onto the bench in front of them.
An extremely brown trouser moment...not to be repeated, ever - Rob

I was felling this tree last weekend.

002-23.jpg

I had a double extending ladder tied to the main trunk & was cutting one of the main branches about 20` up. The crown of the branch hit the floor as expected, but the cut hadn`t gone all the way through & the only way i could cut it was with an up cut.
As the chainsaw cut through, the end of the branch snagged on the chainsaw, the branch fell into the tree pushing the chainsaw blade sideways into my stomach.
I was left pined to the ladder with the weight of a huge 12" diameter branch still pushing the chainsaw into me, boy was i lucky the chainsaw blade had hit me sideways on.

Cheers.

Back