Clock Project

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Excellent looking piece,and thoroughly enjoyed the WIP shots - thanks for taking the time :D

Andrew

So quickly to the final bit of woodworking. I was originally going to use a keyhole router bit to a) cover the holes in the back from the temporary MDF back and b) obviously give me a way of attaching the clock to a wall but there were two problems. My local dealer had a Trend one but it was £28 inc vat. Rutlands have a seven pound odd cutter but there's postage on top and with the postal strikes I'm still waiting for some things I ordered a week and a half ago. Up at Burhouse I got these for £3 which will do fine and compared to £28 for the cutter its a bit of a bargain.
hangingsolution1.jpg

So I wrap an old pillow case around the table of the drill press to protect the front and drill a shallow recess with a 25mm bit.
hangingsolution2.jpg

Then use a 13mm bit to drill deeper and in two stages to give an elongated recess in the middle.
hangingsolution3.jpg

A slight score around with a craft knife and a tap with a hammer and...
hangingsolution4.jpg

I'm happy with that.

Next I wet a J cloth and wring it out to leave it damp and methodically wipe the piece over.
finishing1.jpg

This raises the grain and 20 mins later I lightly sand with 180 grit paper and then wipe the whole thing off with a tack rag (or tack cloth if you're posh)
finishing3.jpg

Off to the finishing room AKA the conservatory. Lots of opening windows for ventilation and it's a relatively dust free environment.
finishing2.jpg

This is what I came away with from Burhouse. Gloves, tack cloths and wiping cloths. The baby buds are to get into hard to reach corners. The product is OSMO Polyx-oil. It's a new one to me but the guy up there recommended it and had samples of which I liked the finish in satin. It's actually a flooring product and seems to be a combination of wax and oil which you wipe on as thinly as possible, allow to dry or 8-10 hours and then apply a second thin coat.

I've taken the door off and used garden wire to suspend it from the rather handy roof brace.
finishing4.jpg

Then it's just a case of methodically wiping the piece over with one cloth and immediately wiping off the excess with another. I had my hands full at this stage so sorry no pics. I'll try and get some on coat 2. It's strange stuff this. It goes on like an oil but smells like a wipe on poly. The tin seems to suggest that it gives as much protection as a poly too saying that the finish is resistant to wine, beer, cola, coffee etc although I guess it's not much of an issue with it hanging on the wall. That said it dries a lot slower than a poly making it easier to maintain a wet edge. With kids in the house I'm forced to do this in the evening but the light in here isn't great so fingers crossed the result is ok.

After the first coat the result it this.
finishing6.jpg

So far it's much more of an oil looking finish than I would have liked not because I don't like an oiled finish, quite the contrary. Most of my previous projects have had a danish oil finish as has most of the furniture I've bought. Consequently I already have lots of Danish oil and would rather not have spent an extra £7 for a new product which gives a similar finish.

The second coat starts and again it's hard to take pictures at this stage but I did manage one
finishing5.jpg

This moring with the finish dry I must admit that I'm not that happy. The satin finish is a little matt for my liking and certainly less shiney than with three coats of Danish oil.
finishing7.jpg

In some places too the sheen is a littly patchy. No doubt it's down to the way I've applied the finish it but I am left contemplating whether or not to apply a final coat of black bison clear wax. I would appreciate some advice on this option and in the mean time I'll coat some scrap with the same product and try some wax on tommorrow.

Well the tester piece went well so I rubbed a generous coat of wax on last night, waited 30 mins and then buffed it off with a cotton cloth. I'm very pleased with the result. The sheen has increased and is more even and the wood is now silky smooth to the touch. Love it! It's been a long and harder than expected project, but worthwile. I only hope my Dad likes his Christmas present.

Here's a final shot of the finished clock in more natural light.
finishedclock1.jpg

Once again, very nice Dom :wink: , and you finished
in "time" for christmas. :lol:

Great project, terrific write-up and WIP piccies. Thanks for involving us in this one Dom. Much appreciated.

Latest posts

Back