Clock No. 2 AIP

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't see 'Iron' mentioned - I do see 'Brass plated Steel' and 'Black plated Stainless Steel' but more important, they don't often specify the 'pitch' and when they do it is dubious. They do state Links per Foot but that doesn't directly tell you the pitch.

Working from the wire Ø & link size (again sometimes dubious) - in mm, it is possible to calculate a theoretical link-pitch and by assuming a 30T drive wheel, so multiplying the pitch by 30, the figures are integer for all combinations listed. These figures would be the Pitch Circle Circumference which is no great help when the PCDiameter is what you would normally expect to be a 'sensible' figure.

Ah - I had looked at that listing (I've looked at ALL) but only to see the link size and wire Ø so must have become inured to the detail, just taking in the info I needed for the data comparison.

Ah - I had looked at that listing (I've looked at ALL) but only to see the link size and wire Ø so must have become inured to the detail, just taking in the info I needed for the data comparison.
Here's a sprocket design for that chain that looks feasible:-

7T Sprocket.JPG

It's a similar diameter to my present project but as it's a smaller chain, it's got 7 teeth as against 5
Brian

That's interesting Brian, how did you calculate the PCD? By pulling your drawing into CorelDRAW! I measure it at 52mm whereas I calculate that it ought to be 62mm (ish) but my algorithm is for a large tooth count. For only 7 the geometry is much more complex.

Since I haven't needed to think about chain drive my simple 'how long is it between links' is probably inappropriate!

That's interesting Brian, how did you calculate the PCD? By pulling your drawing into CorelDRAW! I measure it at 52mm whereas I calculate that it ought to be 62mm (ish) but my algorithm is for a large tooth count. For only 7 the geometry is much more complex.

Since I haven't needed to think about chain drive my simple 'how long is it between links' is probably inappropriate!
'All' you do is draw a length of chain in a circle and then draw a profile to fit the links. I've no idea what the PCD is. I know approximately what the PCD should be to give me a reasonable weight drop over 24 hours. In this case the sprocket will revolve once in 4 hours, so that will be 14 X 6 links per 24 hrs or 14 X 6 X 0.012m/Day = 1.008m/day
Brian

Back