Clock mechanism

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glynne

Established Member
Reaction score
I’ve posted under this forum as I think it’s the most appropriate given that I intend to build a case for the clock to go in to...?

My wife would like a clock that ticks - as in a “nice relaxing “ tick!
So I assume I’m after a mechanical clock mechanism?
I did ask at the Harrogate show last year and was greeted with general disbelief by both traders and visitors alike as evidently the trend is to have silent clocks.....

So I identified company in Merseyside, Timecraft Ltd which looked ideal and requested a catalogue which came in the form of a CD/DVD - but this didn’t give any dimensions for the mechanisms.
I’ve tried ringing several different numbers for the company (all just ring with no answerphone), I’ve tried email (all come back with “mail undeliverable” and I’ve even written a letter asking for help - all to no avail.

So can anyone please suggest an alternative supplier as I can’t find much on Google?

I’m looking for a smallish mechanism which which fit into a case no taller than 235mm (to fit between a sideboard and a mirror) and which has a nice tick (!).

Some years ago I made a clock-case for my late wife's birthday. The clock-work mechanism was a Hermle ( others are available, usually made in Germany) which features a pendulum and repeat chimes. I bought a complete kit in pieces that simply needed assembly, with a set of hands and a face sold separately.

Now, it's a real clock - it needs winding every Sunday - and has a very quiet but audible tick. But I was informed by a clock-maker in this village that, even though big old clocks tick, the act of the sound of the tick uses energy from the wind and indicates wear on the escapement; some of these old clocks have a couple of centuries under their hoods.

That said, all mechanical clocks tick and lets face it...... they are much nicer than electric or quartz.
Hermle sell kits of all complexities for you to make a case of your choice.

A passing thought - the design of the box might make the tick louder or quieter, and change the sound somewhat.

Personally I can't bear the sound of life ticking away.

Apologies if you are looking to go a more trad route, but the simple electric mechanisms can also have a "tick". Obviously not as classy as a nice mechanical set of innards, but cheap and easy...

Why not just get one from a car boot or ebay. Mantle clocks are very cheap and some have nice chimes. I got a nice 50's oak cased one with a pendulum for £25. I find the tick very relaxing

Thanks everyone for the replies, some really good ideas and links.
I rang again yesterday on the off chance and someone picked up the phone. My guy (Kevin) is quite ill and is only calling into work as and when he is able - evidently he was having a blood transfusion yesterday! Unfortunately he is the only person who can answer my queries.
I had it mind to go for a Hermle and make an heirloom clock for the kids / grandkids to inherit so I might just hang fire for a week or so (shortly to be on grandkid minding for the summer holidays anyway). If my guy is struggling to work I’d like to put some business his way if I can. Otherwise I think it’s the quartz option.
A car boot would be a good idea other than herself could hoard for her country and there is no way I could get to one unaccompanied. I might get my clock but she would come back with a shed load of tatt!
Thanks again.

Back