Clock Forums

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bod

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of any English language clock forums, that have a section for Torsion clocks (400 day Anniversary clocks)
I have a clock with a bent anchor arm! Evidence of at least 2 "professional" repairs in it's past. Before I attempt to straighten it, It would be help full to know, is this arm, hardened, how it's fixed into the anchor, even as the clock is running do I need to straighten.
The clock is running slow, and cannot be sped up any more by adjustment.
The clock is a Philip Hauck Torsion clock about a 110 years old.

Bod

Thanks Sunny Bob.
That site is where I have gleaned what information I have about the clock. However at $50 to join, its a bit expensive just to ask a question.

Bod

Bod":xmrrf9hf said:
Does anyone know of any English language clock forums, that have a section for Torsion clocks (400 day Anniversary clocks)
I have a clock with a bent anchor arm! Evidence of at least 2 "professional" repairs in it's past. Before I attempt to straighten it, It would be help full to know, is this arm, hardened, how it's fixed into the anchor, even as the clock is running do I need to straighten.
The clock is running slow, and cannot be sped up any more by adjustment.
The clock is a Philip Hauck Torsion clock about a 110 years old.

Bod

Bod, you anywhere near London?

I have a friend who has a watch repair firm, this guy built his own clock from scratch. Maybe he could help. I could give you his details if the location suits?

Hi OscarG
I'm just down the M3, Surrey/Hampshire border.
Any advice would be welcome, can send pictures if that would help.

Bod

They are not complex, but they need the ability to measure fairly precisely and to machine small parts, as watchmakers and clockmakers do. Meadows and Passmore sell the actual pendulums and a range of (pricey!) glass domes, but I don't think they have other parts. FiL has one with a broken regulating screw, which someone soldered(!), but it doesn't run well, as it's not properly balanced. It needs a new part really. Obviously one end is LH thread, and I would guess it needs to be indexed too - not so simple.

Our long case is going off for a service this coming week. When Rick (Somerset Clocks) comes to get it I'll ask him if he does torsion pendulums.

E.

Sounds like a disc pendulum, most of those do have an adjusting screw that is RH thread one end with LH thread on the other end. To keep the screw central there is a groove which locates on a small screw, which should not be tight. But it's tempting to nip it up! Which makes speed adjustment difficult, forcing things, breaks parts that are not available as spares now.
Most of these clocks are now between 50 and 110 years old. Fascinating and frustrating.

Bod

Yup. I was taught they were torsion pendulums, but disc pendulum describes them exactly, and I'm pretty sure they're also 400-day (i.e. "anniversary" wound) clocks too, as described by the OP.

I don't remember FiL's one having a groove, but it makes a lot of sense as it would let you balance the weights without the need for indexing the threads. In my defence it was probably 30+ years ago when I looked at it.

I assume they are awkward to regulate because the whole arrangement is so fragile.

Back