Clifton Multiplane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

it costs like a ... MiniMorris (I woud have said "like a 500"...) but ... is it REALLY what it promises ? Somebody of you does he HAVE it ? Can you comment what seem to be the "last word" on planes ?

Thanks
Alberto

Alberto,

I don't have one, but I do have the Record #405 that it's based on and I do use it. It's certainly not the last word in planes, but it has its uses for ploughing, simple moulding etc. I can't say I'd be in a hurry to buy the Clifton though; not just because of the price :shock: but also the finish on them just isn't as good as on an older (and cheaper) Record from what I've seen. :(

Cheers, Alf

Admin: Thread moved to Hand Tools :)

Hi Alf

Alf":1p9l6li9 said:
I can't say I'd be in a hurry to buy the Clifton though; not just because of the price :shock: but also the finish on them just isn't as good as on an older (and cheaper) Record from what I've seen.

Purely out of interest, as it doesn't have a tail, does your comment apply to all of the Clifton planes or just this one?

Thanks
Neil

Neil,

Watch out, you're slipping... :wink: No, it's just this one. The thing that really struck me was the clunky wing nut on the blade clamp; it's just hideous. Looks like someone had a quick scrabble round the parts bin and said "this'll do" and shoved it on. Unless it's just like that on the one that Axminster have in their shop, and maybe they lost the original and that's exactly what they did? :? :lol: Just seems daft to me, to pay 500 smackeroonies for a tool when you can get a Record one NIB* for a fifth of the price. I think it's one of those tools the Clico guys just fancied to make even though there's barely any market for it. :roll:

Cheers, Alf

*New In Box

I've heard very simular comments about the clifton :roll: to those expressed by Alf. I also have a 405 in its original box with a full set of blades and more, along with a router plane as a bonus for the princely sum of £50. :D They are out there if you look for them. Which would be a better bet if you really want one. :D

Bean

Alf":2egdyxlo said:
when you can get a Record one NIB* for a fifth of the price.

Alf,
I understand Record gave up producing hand planes: where do you get a NIB 405 ?

Thanks in advance
Alberto

Hi Alf

Alf":1r7ht1uz said:
Neil,Watch out, you're slipping... :wink:

Oh no, I hold you totally responsible. :roll:

Must go and have a cold shower and then lay down in a darkened room. :wink:

Cheers
Neil

Alberto,

Old tool dealers are the fellows you need. For instance, Pennyfarthing Tools has one here that's not exactly as new, but a very nice price. Tony Murland has one with all the bells and whistles, but as usual with him, you're back to big prices. I've got a list of all the main dealers in the UK here, if you feel like asking around to see if anyone has one to fit the bill. :D Or you could try your luck on Ebay of course.

Cheers, Alf

Latest posts

Back