Clifton/L-N bench plane owners please!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alf

Established Member
Reaction score
Folks,

If any of you would be kind enough to run some calipers over the rear handles of any of the bench planes by Clifton or Lie Nielsen that you're lucky enough to own, I'd be greatly obliged. I'm looking for the thickness, please, in millimeters just to the nearest 0.5, and with the make and size of plane. The more samples the better, unless it's starts to look obvious that they're all identical, natch. :roll: Ta muchly. :D

Cheers, Alf

.....asks ALF in her second career as quality control manager for both LN and Clifton. Phew..... it must be hard work eh?

Adam

Alf

At any particular point along the handle (base, top, middle?)o r random samples taken from several points and averaged?

Cheers

Tony

The pedantic one

ALF wrote:
If any of you would be kind enough to run some calipers over the rear handles of any of the bench planes by Clifton or Lie Nielsen that you're lucky enough to own, I'd be greatly obliged.
Chris replied:
LN 7 25.2 mm
LN 5 1/2 25.2 mm
LN 62 25.8 mm
LN 112 25.1

Clifton 3 24.6mm

Strewth Alf, if there was ever a request guaranteed to result in a drive-by fest this is it.

I could measure my Stanley handyman when I get home of that would help? :lol:

andrewm":1kj5e09l said:
Strewth Alf, if there was ever a request guaranteed to result in a drive-by fest this is it.
Cripes, you're right, never thought of that. :shock: And there I was worrying that nobody'd respond... :roll:

andrewm":1kj5e09l said:
I could measure my Stanley handyman when I get home of that would help? :lol:
Well that's very kind, but I have quite a few Stanley's myself. :oops:

Tony, where ever the mood takes you. Just about half way up I s'pose, but if you find much variation...

Chris, thanks. Stretching "bench plane" a bit though, eh? Just wanted to get that scraper and low angle jack in there huh? :p :lol:

Cheers, Alf

<donning the flight cap, goggles an silk scarf....

L-N#'s:-
#7...........25.5
#4 1/2.....25.0
#62.........25.4
#112.......25.4
#9...........44.2dia

whatchya up to Alf...??

Alf

LN 4 1/2 25.35 (middle)
Clifton #5 24.22 (middle)

Couldn't find handles on my other LN's :)

I know you don't want 'em but I measured them anyway
Stanley #5 24.68
Record #4 22.27
Record 778 22.92

Cheers

Tony

Thanks folks. I think we're getting a definite bunching of results on the L-Ns, but any more Cliftons, just to be sure, would be nice.

Tony, that Record one seems a bit weedy. How comfy is it?

Mike, frankly I'm amazed you're the only one to ask why. :lol: I'd have probably told you too, if you hadn't slipped that #9 in there. :p :wink:

Cheers, Alf

waterhead37":39ny57ij said:
(BTW Mike - the one with most answers nearest the correct one gets a free #8.)
You even get the choice of cross-head or slotted, countersunk or round head... :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Hi Alf,
Some more for you.....

Cliftons
4 - 24.5
41/2 - 24.5
5 - 25
7 - 24.5

L-N
62 - 25

I found that with the Cliftons the varnish could be quite thick and varied a bit over the handle, so I averaged it out to the nearest 0.5mm
I must admit, i am a bit intrigued on this subject though-why Alf, why?
You are not doing some undercover work for Lee Valley are you? :lol:
best regards,
Philly :D

My guess is it's a review of the LV LA and she finds the tote too thin/fat?

Except.. my introduction of the LN62 was rejected as not a bench plane - so it must be summat else

waterhead37":e5c6wit5 said:
My guess is it's a review of the LV LA and she finds the tote too thin/fat?
Oooo, 'e's that sharp 'e'll cut hisself. :wink: It's the bench planes, but from further research (the low angle smoother) I'm not sure what I thought was the issue is the issue after all. Anyway, thanks very much peeps. I have statistics enough to write a bloomin' thesis on bench plane totes, if the mood takes me. :?

Philly, hardly undercover! :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Off to re-write the re-write of the re-write of review #4. I may have missed out a few re-writes there... :roll:

Alf":2q27sknr said:
Tony, that Record one seems a bit weedy. How comfy is it?

Cheers, Alf

The plane itself is not too bad really but definitely not as good as comfy as the others. I also feel that there is more control for others

Cheers

Tony

PS just realised my measurements were across the handle rather than along the planes' axis. Is this what you wanted?

Tony":dah1074o said:
PS just realised my measurements were across the handle rather than along the planes' axis. Is this what you wanted?
Yep, that's it. I think. You know, thickness. If you were making one yourself, the thickness of stock you'd be using. No matter, it seems I might have been following something of a red herring anyway. :?

Cheers, Alf

Back