Clifton cap iron - not good enough?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harlequin

Established Member
Reaction score
Thought I would try the clifton 2 piece cap iron (heard so much about cliftons in general)
So got one from Axminster

Found that the removable piece had a few burrs on the edge - sorted that out but still found that the piece rocked side to side
2nd pic shows me pinching one edge to reveal the gap appearing on the other

well - heres the culprit, significant burr on the centre hole, the piece pivots on the burr
The whole thing reminds me of this review by Mr Schwarz http://www.wkfinetools.com/contrib/cSch ... ifton2.asp

Clico need to sharpen up a bit if they are to play in the premier league -attention to detail is everything at these prices and I don't think it unreasonable to require it as a pre-requisite

One could argue that the locating pin pivot point, has some advantage. A three point support is automatically stable, so the front edge of C/B should sit flat on blade?

David Charlesworth

Having recently brought one of these from Classic Hand Tools I noticed something similar. The rocking didn't seem as exaggerated as yours seems to be and I thought about taking some tools to it to sort it out, but I wanted to try out my recently fettled Jointer.

When the lever cap is tensioned it still forces the cap iron down flat across the entire plane iron. I used it for a good hour and had no shavings/chips that managed to force themselves underneath, in fact it works perfectly. I think DC is right that the three point rest does not matter once an even load is administered from the lever cap.

If one had a 4-6mm thick plane blade with a hole/slot for the
yoke, would it be possible to use it without a chipbreaker?

I think a chip breaker is not needed if the blade is thick enough
to resist bending. Also I have noticed that the chip breaker bends
the plane blade very obviously. The middle of the plane blade does
not touch the frog this way.

Ali

ali27":2ib2eqcc said:
Also I have noticed that the chip breaker bends
Hi Ali. That's why the 2-piece cap-irons (Clifton or Record) are good - they don't apply bending forces to the iron.

ali27":2ib2eqcc said:
That should work BUT, you'd want a series of slots, otherwise after 5-10mm of wear you could no long extend the iron through the plane mouth.

Cheers, Vann.

Vann":8h8dilmy said:
ali27":8h8dilmy said:
Also I have noticed that the chip breaker bends
Hi Ali. That's why the 2-piece cap-irons (Clifton or Record) are good - they don't apply bending forces to the iron.

ali27":8h8dilmy said:
That should work BUT, you'd want a series of slots, otherwise after 5-10mm of wear you could no long extend the iron through the plane mouth.

Cheers, Vann.

Hi Vann, I bought the Clifton cap iron with that idea of it not bending
the iron. Unfortunately it actually does bend the iron. When I put the plane
iron without a cap iron on the frog, it sits very flat and I can't see any light
coming through, but even the clifton cap iron causes it too bend. Let me
try again and report back.

Take care,

Ali

jimi43":ii8illf9 said:
woodbloke":ii8illf9 said:
Silence is golden :-" :lol: - Rob

Only broken by the occasional scream of "OUCH MY TOE!!!"

:mrgreen:

Jim

Or "Dammit, I can't reach that far back under my bench!"

I have had mine a few weeks, only dropped it once.

woodbloke":3h5l77cu said:
jimi43":3h5l77cu said:
James C":3h5l77cu said:
.............I have had mine a few weeks, only dropped it once.

I'd send it back. It's not performing as it should. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Jim
It is Jim...it dropped off! :mrgreen: (hammer) - Rob

Amazing skill....it is unusual for a trainee of the Clifton iron to achieve such a high level of double retention in just a few days.

I though I was an expert....after all...I did train a whole pack of bench dogs in three months...and with the Record planes I have......... a quick, stern, "STAY"....is enough!!!

Remarkable!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Jim

David C":1ls5jozv said:
One could argue that the locating pin pivot point, has some advantage. A three point support is automatically stable, so the front edge of C/B should sit flat on blade?

David Charlesworth

Hence the fact that Milking stools only ever had three legs! :wink:

Latest posts

Back