Clifton 4 1/2

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philly

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey Teamsters,
Here is a link to some pics of the new Clifton #4 1/2.

http://groups.msn.com/ukwoodworking/cli ... lbumlist=2

Upon unpacking the plane, the first important difference is that they don't put anywhere near as much grease on the tool as they used too. Hurrah! The new planes are being cast at a different foundry-upon talking to Mike the Clifton man at the Yandles show he explained that they are being made by the foundry that casts their shoulder planes for them. They are of a consistantly higher standard than the old foundry, having less returns due to imperfections.
First impressions of the plane are wow, very pretty! You can't beat that racing green/bubinga handles/polished steel combo :shock: Makes L-N look plain jane. (get ready for outraged replies......). It weighs a fair bit more than a #4, I didn't weigh it as that would be sad. (o.k., the Missus wouldn't let me use her scales :lol: ) Qualitywise, I couldn't fault it, everything was of a consistantly high standard. A quick hone of the iron and we're off. In use it does exactly what you expect. Lovely paper thin shavings and a peach to use. :D
So, all in all a great result. The quality of the new planes has definitely gone up a notch-maybe to L-N standards at last. I recommend you do yourself a favour and get your hands on one soon.
regards,
Philly 8)

Nice gloat Philly, especially the casually tossed in family photo. 8) My first *two* cars costs less than that lot!

Mod! I demand a new topic for Philly's gloats!

Chiba,
I humbly apologise for the shameless gloating, it is becoming a bit of problem on this forum :roll:
My first car had about the same amount of metal in as my #4 1/2 (the rest was rust.......)
Incidently, did you see my post on the Gordan plane? (Doh, there I go again :shock: )
Cheers,
Philly

Philly,

That is an interesting sidelight on the foundry thing, I had not heard that. Having just bought my first Clifton bench plane which I commented on here https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1381 and having been incredibly impressed with the plane, your insight perhaps explains why more people have not raved about the Cliftons.

I reckon my new No 3 is just as good as any LN and as I "ah hem", have the national collection of LNs I reckon I know whereof I speak.

Chris,
Glad you like your #3- They certainly are very close to L-N in quality, and a different planet compared to Record/ Stanley and cheapies.
Enjoy
Philly :D

Philly,

Mmm, very nice. Heavy blighter, isn't it? Mike failed dismally to take my hint and give any figures for its weight, so if you could just slip it past the missus...? :wink: I'm a big fan of low knobs, so that's a bonus as far as I'm concerned. Apparently he'd like to get a York pitch frog available too, and they're thinking about a #8. Only problem is, they've always gone for thicker castings, and it might be simply too heavy. :shock: Heck, one of these days I'm just gonna have to get one, aren't I? How intolerably tedious... :roll:

As for this excessive gloating; I dunno what's got into the membership. Shocking, I call it. :?

Cheers, Alf

Alf":1shgdfic said:
I'm a big fan of low knobs
Keep it clean please, this is a family show :lol:
Arf!
I certainly like the feel of the #4 1/2, makes the #4 feel like a toy (nearly). And yes, it's time to get your feet wet! :p
cheers,
Philly

SDP,

It's an age thing, rather than a size one <pause for ribald comment :roll: >. Stanley introduced the knob we're all familiar with today in 1919 or thereabouts I believe. Clifton seem to have favoured it more for heavier planes, I know not why. I prefer it (okay, so you didn't ask, but what the heck eh? :wink: ) because it tends to make you wrap you're hand over the knob which provides the best means of applying pressure to the toe. With the high knob there's a tendency to grasp it more like a, er, microphone I suppose, unless you consciously think about it, which isn't so good.

Cheers, Alf

Talking of #4½, I got my L-N order today. Surprisingly the tools were pretty useless straight out the box and I thought I was doing something very wrong until I took them to the Tormek.
Three mirror finishes later and I have finally found tools to be really proud of.
The #4½ is a wonderful bit of kit, and I've been finding all sorts of reasons today for smoothing out lengths of timber. The little bronze low-angle block plane is such a treat! I've had an unusual shaped table top lying around the workshop for a few days just waiting for this plane to arrive so that I could smooth round the edge. It left a gorgeous finish on the end grain and for the first time ever I haven't needed to use sandpaper on edge work.
The other treat is the Bogg's spokeshave, which was my main indulgence. I'll use this tool only every so often, but it's such fun! No more bobbin sanding for me!

Sawdust

I got the LN 4 1/2 because it is wider and slightly heavier which helps to smooth out the board with less effort and more quickly.

However, when looking for a No 5, which I mainly use for planing edges of boards, the extra width held no advantage and so I opted for the Clifton No5 (also 5 1/2 is very heavy I think)

Cheers

Tony

Sawdust Producer":18qctvyl said:
What is the reason for having a #4 1/2 or a #5 1/2 sizes instead of #4 or a #5 ?
Instead of? Instead of??! Sorry, does not compute... :wink: It's just down to personal preference; balance, weight, what other planes you have etc. On the latter f'rinstance, if you're one of these strange creatures who likes to have a limited number of planes, you might already have a #3 say, so a #4 1/2 might be more of a useful variation in size than a #4. I prefer the #4 1/2 for its weight, but I favour the 5 1/2" for its width - the #5 just seems too narrow to me. But if I was roughing down a lot of timber then the lighter weight of the #5 would be whole lot more convincing! Horses for courses, AKA "You need a wide range of tools from which to choose" :wink: (As arguments go, it works for me anyway... :lol: )

Cheers, Alf

Hey All,
Sorry, my computer has been down for nearly 2 days-living hell!
The reason for a #4 1/2- I find that when planing panels with my #4 I skew the plane, which lowers the effective angle of the iron for a smoother cut (sometimes). But by skewing the plane you also narrow the width of the cut-the #4 has a 50mm wide blade which, when you take into consideration the skewing and a curved iron take a fairly narrow shaving. the extra width of the #4 1/2, along with the extra momentum due to the extra weight, makes for quicker work.
At least thats my excuse for buying another tool :lol:
Aragorn, glad you like your new tools- I especially like the little bronze block plane-it's a gem, and always near my hand. (It doesn't rust in the bath either :D )
As regards Alfs' low knob-All I know is it feels good in my hand :roll: (God, I just can't stop myself.........)
Cheers,
Philly :D

Back