Clever router finger joint jig

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not acceptable in my opinion, way too gappy.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    23.8 KB · Views: 278
Actually, you are right, that is not a good fit. But I suspect it is just a poor execution of an excellent method. The principle looks excellent to me.
Of course, if it really is rubbish, that means mine is still the best. Hee-hee.

You could always buy a pre-made comb or, if you're feeling flush a set of 'spare' Leigh fingers..

I'm going to do some 3d print tests to see what the tolerances for repeated fingers is like.

Maybe its pressing too hard against the wooden keys. Could also just be a poor router bit with an inaccurate bearing.

Another option is to make the keys from solid aluminium which I believe would be ok as you're only grazing it. Or maybe use a bushing.

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

I made my table saw finger joint jig in about 30 minutes from scraps I had in my off cuts bin. It gives me joints with a fit to about .005” tolerance which need a mallet tap or two to seat and no clamps to hold. Only issue is it necessitates the use of a dado stack which many saws on this side of the pond don’t support:
VVeGZwa.jpg

helluva lot cheaper than the D4R though.

On a completely random tangent, whats the Thai flag for @Steve Maskery?

craigsalisbury":h8ome20v said:
On a completely random tangent, whats the Thai flag for @Steve Maskery?
Er, TBH, I've forgotten. I went through a phase of flying the flag of any country where there had been an atrocity. Sadly, there are too many to keep up.
Are you sure it is Thai? That doesn't ring a bell. But right now I should change it to Sri Lankan.

Definitely Thai, coulda been the Tsunami? that was a rough day.

Am I the only person English enough to say thats a BOX joint, or at the very worst a COMB joint?

Finger joints are tapered, just like (most peoples) fingers.

Its an americanism that really rubs me wrong. (hammer) :shock:

sunnybob":2acd92tr said:
Am I the only person English enough to say thats a BOX joint, or at the very worst a COMB joint?

I agree, in principle. However the trouble starts when you try to explain how the two parts of the joint interlock, it's almost impossible not to use the term "fingers"

sunnybob":15oaqtf4 said:

Finger joint, box joint, comb joint are all interchangeable terms and have been used for as long as machines capable of making them have been around.

Can you post a picture of one of your tapered finger joints, please? I don't quite understand what you are describing.

Steve Maskery":31fcr99p said:
sunnybob":31fcr99p said:

Finger joint, box joint, comb joint are all interchangeable terms and have been used for as long as machines capable of making them have been around.

Can you post a picture of one of your tapered finger joints, please? I don't quite understand what you are describing.

On the other hand (no pun intended) can you post a picture of a box made with a finger joint cutter?

https://www.axminster.co.uk/axcaliber-f ... ter-666228

Latest posts

Back