Clever dog?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
We have got a toy poodle (not me) and I reckon he has intelligence that we humans sometimes do not appreciate.

He sits in an open doorway across from the hallway looking into the room I use for computing and watches, the reason being that he waits for me to cease fiddling around knowing that when I have finished he will get the opportunity of jumping up on my lap and getting some attention.

He knows when this is going to happen, how, he watches the computer screen and when I close down the PC he recognisees the shut down screen, (no sound signals taking place, switched off).
Also in conversations between the wife and myself we must not speak about holidays in his presence otherwise he goes into a deep depression, he knows of our oncoming absence.

Of course only poodles are this highly intelligent. :wink:

A very clever dog DW

Our cat recgonises the quiet beep of the burglar alarm sounder when we set it or clear it in the morning. As soon as I key in the digits first thing, she starts calling as loud as she can - along the lines of (cat speak for) now you're down, FEED ME!!!!!!

Hi Devonwoody - I've almost finished reading "How Dogs Think" by Dr. Stanley Coren (A Canadian professor of psychology) which, if you want to take a book on holiday, would be my recommendation. IMHO I think it's very good.

One of the many things he demonstrates is how various breeds achieved their abilities. Poodles are intelligent, but no more so than many other breeds. Our personal preference is for the opposite 'size' dog, namely the Newfoundland.

:D I have got a jack russell and she is very inteligent because she has got my wife and i toltaly besorpted with her :D

martyn

This dog was very cleaver, he got me to choose him :D
pup1.jpg

There ones were not so clever, they will be going to other homes.
pups2.jpg

4 weeks until he can be collected

Jason

Hi Jason

I'm not terribly good at puppy recognition (I thought I was buying a collie-cross and ended up with an alsation! Best mistake of my life :D ). What breed is the little mite? He looks like he'll be lots of fun.

Clever dogs? I'll post the true tale of my neighbour's rat infestation later, but be warned - it's a long story.

icon_dog037.gif

Gill

He's a French Bulldog, born on xmas day so alloing for any suggestions for names, Cracker and Sprout spring to mind.

Jason

Hi Jason - He looks lovely, I bet you can't wait 'till he's eight weeks. BTW the book I mentioned in my earlier post makes it clear that from eight to twelve weeks of age a huge amount of 'social learning' goes on in a dogs mind, so if you want him to love you for the rest of his life, give him all your love, especially in those first four weeks.

Fantastic Jason. He looks like he'll get in the way at every glue up :D :D DAMHIKT!

French..... Christmas...... gotta be 'Noel'.

(wonder if this post will be moderated!! :twisted: )

Cheers

Tim

Latest posts

Back