Clear matt finishes for oak doors

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krome10

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

We had some oak doors hung recently and are now looking for a suitable finish.

We like the colour of the doors as they are now and so are looking for something which will not change the colour much/if at all. If the product DOES change the colour, our preference would be for it to darken the wood and bring out the black a little (as well as enhance the woodgrain). But something totally clear and matt would also be fine.

We've had a few suggestions and narrowed it down to:

*****Osmo Hardwax Oil.
Don't know much about that one...

*****Aquacoat Dead Flat Matt. This does seem to do the job quite well. A helpful chap in a nearby store applied a little bit of this to an oak offcut... It yellowed it a tiny bit but not much at all... Interestingly, I've read many a post which states that this will change the colour of wood in the same way that wetting the wood with water does. The small amount applied by the guy in the shop had no where near that much effect.

*****Rubio Monocoat oil. This stuff looks really good. I've read reviews about people having it on their floor and it withstand heavy shop traffic in snowy areas. So I'm sure it would protect the doors very well. I also LOVE the fact that it only needs applying once and would therefore save tonnes of time. The downside is this.... The chap who sold us the doors suggested using the "pure" one - which is their version of clear. But I've emaiiled Rubio and they say "pure" would make the wood more golden. Hmmmm.... They suggested using "Smoke 5%" for an unfinished look. But then on their website Smoke 5% looks very pinky.

See: http://www.rubiomonocoat.com/en/colours2.php?inex=in

Sorry for the long post. I wondered if anyone has any suggestions as to which of these might work, or suggestions for any other products. I'd also love to hear more about the Rubio (which I've noticed does not really get spoken about on this forum).

Huge thanks in advance.

All the best

Max

I've edited and added a little to the above post. Also wanted to (rather cheekily) bump this as we are keen to get the doors finished ASAP so as to avoid any damage to them.

Huge thanks...

Max

I've had no experience of any of those finishes and it's notoriously difficult to gauge colour from a photo or computer screen. However, whenever I've wanted to finish oak so that it looks totally natural, the best finish has been a waterbased one, the oil based ones all seem to yellow the wood. And one of the best neutral finishes I found was expressly designed for wooden floors. That was some years ago now, and I can't remember the make.

Sorry that's not much help, but at least it's an answer.....

Latest posts

Back