Clear finish for oak kitchen units

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hanser

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks any recommendations for a product for finishing off oak kitchen units?

The requirement is (as far as is practical and I appreciate one product might not fit all)

Brush on/wipe off
Matt/Satin finish
Easy to refinish (a freshen up a few years down the line)
Clear finish that doesn't darken the wood
Doesn't show up water stains
Eco friendly ish

I've used Danish oil before for bits and pieces before but it does tend to darken off the wood..

Thanks in advance

I have just done some oak units in Smith & Rogers Aquacote, similar to teh old Barfords Aquacote that you can't get now but better. Best applied with a paint pad, 3 coats denib between coats and being its also a floor finish is very durable. Not exactly wipe on wipe off but very easy to apply.

This and the next couple of pics

https://vault2.secured-url.com/frenchpo ... tings.html

J

I would use Osmo Polyx oil in this situation. I have internal oak doors and it has been a success on those.

Jim

I find the Polyx darkens the oak far more than the aquacote which is not what the OP wanted.

J

I haven't tried the latest Aquacote but unless it is a huge improvement on the old it will leave the wood looking pale but uninteresting - lacking both warmth and "life". Polyx is less than perfect in this respect because of its lack of clarity ( I wouldn't use it on fine furniture) but I think it is a good for something like kitchen units. As ever, the best answer is to experiment on test samples to see what works for you.

Jim

Back