Clear Finish for exterior use

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

machone

Established Member
Reaction score
I have made a couple of horse name boards from a piece of American white oak. I’ve sanded them and really like the colour. However, I have used yacht varnish before and this gives a yellow finish making it look a bit like pine.

Any recommendations for rough use finish that will keep the nice Gandalf the grey colour?

thanks

Any other suggestions? I have just used oil & varnish on this one but it looks very different & I still like the light colour pre-treatment.

I have made a couple of horse name boards from a piece of American white oak. I’ve sanded them and really like the colour. However, I have used yacht varnish before and this gives a yellow finish making it look a bit like pine.

Any recommendations for rough use finish that will keep the nice Gandalf the grey colour?

thanks
Virtually the only finishes that don’t give a yellow tone are water based ones, so that’s what you need to look for

But the water-based ones won’t stand up to outdoor treatment, I don’t think you will find what you are looking for I’m sorry to say. Cuprinol type finishes are likely to last longest but probably not the look you wanted.

Ok, thanks. Went for Danish oil then epiphanes gloss in the end. Very different look but should hold up. Still interested in finding a finish that preserves the ‘unfinished’ looks and colour of white oak. Will look for water based and do some experiments.

I think you’re chasing your tail here.

Unfinished oak will look like unfinished oak, go grey and probably last a long time.

Finished oak will look like finished oak, eventually go grey and probably last a long time.

What look are you actually after?

Aidan

thanks
A water based finish should minimise yellow discolouration. But as already said, won't be longlasting. Why not just save effort and let the timber weather naturally?

A water based finish should minimise yellow discolouration. But as already said, won't be longlasting.
Why should a water based exterior polyurethane not last a similar time to an oil based exterior polyurethane? A spar varnish like Epifanes is in a different category sure and will probably last longer but all exterior finishes have a shorter life and need renewal quite often (every year or five depending on the strength of sun exposure and film thickness).

This is the look/colour I am after but if I leave it outside it will look like that for about a week, whereas with varnish it looks very different but with a few coats will stay like that for years, after a wipe down with a wet cloth!

Attachments

• 38E0C2A2-3C30-4CFA-A2A9-1AF5F91137DB.jpeg
    38E0C2A2-3C30-4CFA-A2A9-1AF5F91137DB.jpeg
    280.1 KB · Views: 18
Believe it or not but a spray can of Halfords car laquer is what you are after. It has lots of UV filtering to help prevent colour fade on a car and if you give it just a coule of light feather coats the board wont be too glossy

Believe it or not but a spray can of Halfords car laquer is what you are after. It has lots of UV filtering to help prevent colour fade on a car and if you give it just a coule of light feather coats the board wont be too glossy
Well that’s wonderful if it’s going to work Droogs, will it stand up to outdoors weather?

Does your car? Its what is the clear coat on your car

Plus 1 for droogs suggestion, but also, osmo do white tinted oils which limit the yellowing. The more ciats you build up, the whiter it'll get, but 2 or 3 usually works well. They do samples for 3 quid, a little pouch of the oil to test

Yes but my car isn’t made of wood, will it stand the movement slight though it will be?
yes it will fine. I have done a fair few things for outside and never had a problem. you will be very surprised at how much the panels on a car will expand and contract just in the course of a hot summers day with no effect on the paint coatings

Latest posts

Back