Clear Epoxy ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattF

Established Member
Reaction score
Can anybody tell me what Epoxy resin to use to fill a fault in a piece of wood please.

SWMBO has seen a clock for the mantel piece and the surrounding wood had a crack in it that had been filled with a clear filler with bits in it to make it stand out now she wants me to make one and I'm not sure what to use.

Thanks Matt

Hello,

Most epoxy resins are tinged with an amber cast. But in most applications that small amount of colour does not really matter. There are other casting resins, like acrylic or polyester, which are water clear, but the work is more hazardous with them, as they are highly carcinogenic/toxic before curing. Consumer grade epoxies, like the Araldite 90 minutes and five minutes adhesives are much more safe to work with on an amateur scale.

Be careful!

Have a nice day,

János

Hi

Steer clear of quartz filler, it is extremely hard and not workable with standard tooling - I'd advise to check out the Turners Retreat website for epoxy and fillers suitable for these sort of applications.

Regards Mick

Thank you for all the replies I think I'm going to have a go with the epoxy first on a bowl that has developed a crack while drying just to see what its like as a practice run

Thank you Matt

I visited a craft shop in Looe on the weekend and they had some lovely tables in there that were basically slices of timber across the grain with the bark still attached that had been sanded and then covered in a clear resin. They looked stunning and it got me thinking about this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/180845911692? ... 643wt_1037

Was thinking of getting some and having a go

Back