Cleaning?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hallelujahal

Established Member
Reaction score
New to turning but discovering that my lathe gets pretty filthy very quickly and was wondering what folks generally use to keep the bed (especially) clean and smooth running?

I don't much like spray furniture polish, never sure what's in it, solvents silicone etc. For working contact parts like the bed and edge of toolrest I rub a block of hard beeswax over it and buff a bit. Doesn't need much. Rest just gets the vac and brush over it as needed.

Any machine wax will do the job and probably most furniture type polish as well ,keeps things nice and smooth,wipe clean and add more as and when you need (y):)
+1 for hard Axminster machine wax in a tin. You do need to replenish it though.

It is no good putting waxes or anything else on a machine if you don't keep it clean in the first place. Try to put something on the bed before applying any sealers or finish, the exception is if you need the lathe to be revolving. Wipe any finish off immediate and if by chance it does get onto the lathe and harden use a solvent like thinners depending on the type of finish. Once the lathe is clean then apply a wax

Green kitchen scrubbing pad and WD40 to clean. This also gets off light rust.
After its clean then some wax as mentioned to help protect it. Also makes the tailstock and banjo easier to slide along the bed. This is also good for any cast iron surface like bandsaw, table saw planers or whatever.
Regards
John

I use the same method of Orraloon. I've got an old tin of wood wax 22 that I use but I'll probably get some machine wax when it runs out. Does the job fine.

Vacuum the worst off the lathe, then high pressure airline to blast the dirt out. I do that on every machine, not forgetting the motor. For the wood lathe, I polish with wax furniture polish to help bits slide better.

All my cast iron on the workshop is regularly wiped over with a cloth damp with GT85. A light spray on the lathe bed, Mortimer or bandsaw table and wipe with the cloth. If not going to be used for a while, a smearing of machine wax rubbed on.

Back