Cleaning up Walnut after sanding & before a finish

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

I have made a cabinet with walnut legs which I probably should have just planed and then finished but I've sanded it now and the surface has gone from a nice contrasting figure to a muddy grey colour with the dust from the sanding.
Will hoovering it and using a tack cloth be enough before I apply a finish (probably Liberon's Finishing Oil: a sort of Danish Oil with a twist)?
I wondered about whether to try a scraper or using a cloth damened with white spirit?
Thanks folks

By far the best way of getting rid of sanding dust from a surface is to blast it with compressed air. I use a workshop compressor - which has a multitude of other uses too and is one of the last tools I would get rid of if I had to sell up.

In the absence of such a thing, try a damp cloth or conceivably one of those compressed air thingies you can buy for dusting off cameras - I know it's an expensive way to go!

A tack cloth is also not too bad and should improve matters.

When you apply the oil, things will look a 100% better in any case.

Keith,

I have sanded walnut, down to 500 grit, on the lathe and then cleaned the items with tack cloth. Finishing with Liberon finishing oil, flattening off between coats with Webrax, restored the figure and colour without any problem at all. I wouldn't hesitate to use the same process again. Can you try a test piece on an offcut to reassure yourself first? FWIW.

Cheers,

Trev.

I have made wheels in walnut, using a belt sander to get them round, no lathe.
Take a look here,they looked very pale and plain before the oil went on. The colour was fully restored by one coat of oil, two more and I am well pleased.

Keith... I'd be tempted to give it a light tickle with a scraper. One quick way to test it is to dampen with mineral spirit; it should reveal the "finished look" without causing any probs for your chosen finish...

Keith

After sanding I always wipe over with white spirit, not to sure if this is a correct method but it seems to work. it really brings out the grain and to my knowledge it doesn't affect any finishing material you use.

Well. I hoovered it, scraped the front obvious bits, finished off with a tack cloth AND wiped it with white spirit, so I took everyones advice and thanks for that because it turned out pretty striking and the dark walnut and it's straight grain contrasts very well with the colour and figure in the elm.
Thanks
Keith

Latest posts

Back