Cleaning up a Stratocaster

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr

Established Member
Reaction score
Having recently hit my 40s I have decided to have a midlife crisis and become a rockstar. To this end I have bought meself a wee Marshall amp (to replace my sadly demised WEM dominator) and dug the Strat out of the attic. It hasn't seen the light of day for a few years now and is covered in cobwebs and gunk - what looks like rusty wood - fortunately that came off with application of a wet cloth. Does the panel think it would be worth removing the pick guard to give the lectrics a cleanout and a quick spurt of servisol or similar. I've never had the pick guard off before and am a little wary of the thing flinging its innards accross the room.

Cheers Mike

The innards of a strats wiring looks like this...

stratwiring.jpg

... with all bits securely fastened.

The issue is that you won't be able to remove the whole assembly without disconnecting some wires that go to the output jack. I'd give the guitar a good play and if all seems ok (no cutting out, excess noise etc) then don't bother removing the guard.

If there are problems, then start at the jack and work inwards. you can clean the jack without removing the guard - a cotton wool bud and some electrical contact cleaner should do it.

davy_owen_88":1nfnsz9c said:
The issue is that you won't be able to remove the whole assembly without disconnecting some wires that go to the output jack. I'd give the guitar a good play and if all seems ok (no cutting out, excess noise etc) then don't bother removing the guard.

If there are problems, then start at the jack and work inwards. you can clean the jack without removing the guard - a cotton wool bud and some electrical contact cleaner should do it.

Thats kind of what I was fearing and also hoping - ie servisol and cotton buds. There's no reason why it shouldn't work the things just dusty and dirty.
That Manchester Guitar Tech site is interesting - he makes applying a sunburst finish look easy. I think this is step 1 in my plan to build a tele (on the way to becoming a rock star of course) Though the good lady was less than impressed when I told her I bought a Marshall, she'll be even less impressed if I start building a guitar.
Cheers Mike

mr":b6431s77 said:
Having recently hit my 40s I have decided to have a midlife crisis and become a rockstar.

That age hit me three years ago. Take it like a man....

.....and wear a bandana too

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mike
Just spray servisol into whatever orifices you can - when you plug the thing in you'll know if there's anything particular that needs work (switch, jack plug, etc)
Do you need the Tab for "Smoke on the Water"........ :lol:
Philly :D

Ive been looking for the bandana I used to wear :oops: but no sign of it - probably for the best if truth be told.

I've given it a liberal spraying of Super Servisol 10 which is so old even the can is a retro design. Cleaned all the gunk off and it's looking quite sweet again, a few dings here and there but they all have stories. New strings on, just needs tuning now.

Smoke on the water? I think I can remember that. Been trying to remember Little Wing but only the beginning has come back to me so far. Hopefully it will all come flooding back when the amp is delivered - tomorrow with luck. Ill have to build a new guitar stand as well I guess. The other one has the Ovation sat on it.

Now where's me crybaby gone?

Cheers Mike

Davy
Yeah, look out - he's started.... :lol:
He'll be namedropping famous rock stars he's jammed with next :wink:
Cheers
P.s. Mike - it's in G

davy_owen_88":34uhold1 said:
Can we turn this into a gear gloat post? :D

Sounds like a plan :) I'm planning on really upsetting the missus over the weekend and getting all my gear out if I can find it. Though I think she might draw the line at the Dominator bits being dragged out. If I can find it all Ill post a pic ;)

There's only the one that I've played with as it goes Phil :)
What can I say guitars were my passion before real life intervened.

Cheers Mike

Mike
I know exactly what you mean - I still have a loft full of guitars. Let's just say I used to love guitars like I love my planes......... :lol:
The Missus keeps threatening Ebay but I tell her they will be worth more in years to come. Like after I'm gone........ :twisted:
Cheers
Phil :D

OK, I'll make the first move then :lol:

Meet my pedalboard (and my stash of Behlen finishes):
mypedalboard.jpg

Consists of 3x ernie ball volume pedals (the two on the left control various parameters from the G-system and the one on the far right is the main volume.

The TC Electronic G-system is the shiny and very dusty beast in the middle - the single greatest buy I have ever made.

And then the Ibanez Weeping demon wah - I used to have the original crybaby but I wanted some more tweakability.

Guitars consist of an Ibanez 7-string, an LTD 6-string and 2 other guitars I'm in the process of building (one based on the John Petrucci custom by musicman, and another is a fretless with solid bronze fingerboard).

I just wish I could put my hands on about £2K to buy a Cornford amp. :cry:

Nice - love the effects pedalboard!
My live set-up is pretty simple - years of gigging means all my pedals and gadgets live in the house, not on stage.
Line 6 Flextone III with shortboard and extension cab and my PRS maple CE.
Simple setup with loads of good sounds at my feet. Sometimes I swap in a Strat or Les Paul if I need a change :roll:
Cheers

Nice pedal board indeed.
I have the strat and an Ovation acoustic (round back, made out of helicopters sort of thing), not much in the way of effects, just an original Dunlop crybaby and another pedal which believe it or not Ive forgotten what it is, which tells you how long since its seen the light of day. My WEM Dominator MKII amp caught fire once upon a time and Ive dragged the bits around with me ever since in the hope that I might one day find some one who can fix it though I expect replacement valves will be like rocking horse droppings. The new amp is a wee Marshall MG15cdr practice job that shouldn't scare the neighbours too much and will do until such time as I need something bigger if that time ever comes again.

I had a play around with a PRS Maple once upon a time - very nice it was too. Chap who it belonged to had two of them and then sold them both when his star waned on order to pay the bills etc. Shame really.
I've always had a hankering for a telecaster and liked the sound of the Les Paul but found them deeply unplayable personally, I could never get my hand around the bridge. The telecaster is somewhere on my "must have a go a building that" list so I may yet one day add one to the collection. I don't think Ill be buying any more guitars though. Shame how all those youthful dreams disappear eh.

Cheers Mike

Philly":1ywl6iad said:
and my PRS maple CE.

*Drools* Watching the PRS guitar building video was what got me interested in guitar building and woodwork in general.

The main reason I went for the G-system was due to it's simplicity. For years I had a maze of wires and stomp boxes. All those connections were a liability so I decided to make an investment in something that would drastically reduce the fuss involved in setting everything up.

Almost forgot.......
2005_0424guitar0011.jpg

Here's my PRS along with a copy I made as a back-up. OF course, my daughter can't stay away from a camera....... :lol:
A Tele is as straight forward a guitar to make as they come - just the way Leo designed it! Go on Mike, you know you want to....... :lol:
Cheers

I would post a pic of my 1959 Les Paul... but I don't want to show off. :wink:

Did you make the neck and finger board or buy it in Philly?

Cheers Mike

Mike
The neck came off a cheapo Yamaha - loved the profile. Spliced on a new headstock and drilled out the black dot inlays. Fitted mother-of-pearl and , Voila!
Cheers

Back