Cleaning polish off a lathe

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drillbit

Established Member
Reaction score
I keep finding splashes of chestnut friction polish dried onto the side of lathe when I clear away the shavings after a session. It's only cosmetic, but it would be nice to give it a bit of a clean up if there's an easy way. I tried methylated spirit but it doesn't do anything. Is there anything which will take it off easily?

I use B&Q industrial wipes - but I'm not sure if it's sanding sealer or friction polish that they remove! (I use both but don't think I get the latter over the lathe to the same extent as the SS.

Hi

I always put a old towel on my lathe bed before using any type of fluids

Sanding sealer / polishes / spray paints

Cant get the Titan dirty now can I :wink:

Cellulose thinners gets most polishes off with a paper towel but it also completely degreases the lathe bed.

So, mine then gets a coat of Rennaissance wax to stop it corroding and to keep the head & tailstock running smoothly.

Jon

Thanks all. Blister you have more patience than me. I don't usually even get round to changing into an old shirt first. Lathe polish acts like a sort of bleach in coloured material :)

Nev thanks for the heads up. I'm trying to avoid having to buy and try everything so good to know.

Sounds like cellulose thinners could be worth trying so long as I keep it off the bed.

Hi Toby,
If it's on the paintwork of the lathe be a bit careful and don't rub too hard otherwise the CT will start taking the paint off - it's a very powerful solvent.

Jon

Any hardened drops on the paintwork would get left, I do get drops on the top of the bed and just scrape them off :shock: , small drops usually come off in one in one go with an old chisel at approx 5' from horizontal.

Back