Cleaning Old Door Hinges

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wellywood

Established Member
Reaction score
I want to clean some old door hinges which are covered in about 25 years worth of paint. I can strip them but wonder how to stop the metal from 'blooming' with rust afterwards. Any advise on what can I use to treat them after stripping?

Not tired it, but how about stripping with a heat gun - probably less damaging than chemical. Would probably reduce risk of rust. Then wax as above, or even clear lacquer / polyurethane varnish?

Thanks for the tips guys. Greg, the heat gun idea sounds good. When I've stripped stuff before and washed it off/neutralised the stripper it's been a heck of a job to stop the rust setting in almost immediately. I'll try the gun. They are just steel door hinges that I want to have powdercoated.

Soak them in caustic soda solution.
Wipe them over with linseed oil, wd40, 3 in 1, chip fat, anything along those lines, or just keep them dry - poly bag?

Hi

I think you'll find the heat gun route rather inefficient, better to toss the hinges into an open fire and burn off the paint, clean off the debris with a wire brush and either store in an airtight bag with a sachet of silica gel, (preferred), or protect with light oil until you're ready to powder coat them. I'd shy away from waxing them as complete removal prior to powder coating may be problematic.

Regards Mick

Have you thought about electrolytic removal. Used for rust removal but clears paint well too. Still have to protect from corrosion afterwards, they come new all oily or greasy, so perhaps that's the best way.

Putting them in a fire is the worst suggestion!
Burning with hot air is unnecessarily difficult.
I've done thousands, and sash pulleys and general hardware.
This is how you do it. :-
Soak them in caustic soda solution until all the paint and gunge is gone. Rinse in clean water and dry.
If you can't keep them dry in a dry place or a poly bag (why not?) wipe them over with something oily.

PS if they are "blooming with rust" you are keeping them somewhere damp. Don't keep them somewhere damp.

Caustic soda as mentioned. Or if thats hard to find acetone will dissolve both oil and water based paints. If you find rust underneath the old paint then use a rust converter. It's been rare that I don't find some rust on old hingee that I restore. After that leave raw. The powder coater should be preping them before they apply the coating...

SpinDoctor":2u3whuom said:
Caustic soda as mentioned. Or if thats hard to find acetone will dissolve both oil and water based paints. If you find rust underneath the old paint then use a rust converter. It's been rare that I don't find some rust on old hingee that I restore. After that leave raw. The powder coater should be preping them before they apply the coating...
Caustic soda easy to find - most large hardware shops, paint shops etc. Or just google it. It's used for unblocking drains and paint stripping.

PS I don't think I've had a rust problem with caustic soda and old hardware. You can leave it in the bucket for a long time with no problem. I wonder if it leaves a slightly protected surface even after rinsing and drying? Just guessing.

Hi

If you go the chemical removal route make sure you get every last vestige of it off before you submit for powder coating or the finish will not adhere or lift in a short time. There's a reason powder coaters favour mechanical surface preparation, (bead blasting), it leaves a clean and keyed surface, (much as does burning followed by wire brushing).

Regards Mick

Back