Cleaning Domestic Oven

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonm

Established Member
Reaction score
Siemens Double oven needed cleaning. Removed doors, racks, rack brackets and seal. Received the usual comments like, why are you going to all that trouble, just get on and clean it etc. I did not waste my time explainIng that a few minutes spent removing items makes the job easier and better.

Tried mr muscle oven cleaner, spray, loads fumes, not much good at cleaning. Then tried Oven Mate, see photo, paint on gel, worked better, left overnight, less fumes, but not fantastic. I am left with a few black spots and sides not great. Cleaner worked well on glass doors. Have attached some pictures of bottom oven, top oven is better but spent much longer on it. Not cleaned the racks yet, apparently there is a method using a bag.

It is back together now and has passed inspection as it is much better than before. Also covering the worktops with oven components has its advantages as in, that is good enough, put it back together.

I was wondering if anyone has a method for cleaning ovens which works.
D6402F21-257E-4682-81EC-8DC9A3C8574A.jpeg

8934EBB2-6DF8-4A41-A0EA-0F4AF5C9A9B6.jpeg

Oven pride gel, normally get it for a quid from the local discount shop, leave it over night and it works a treat. I've heard good things about scrub daddy sponges or something like that??

Many ovens have a auto cleaning mode, pyrolytic cleaning at 500C which is supposed to burn everything off the oven. We have a Smeg oven which has liner plates on all sides., they seem to stay fairly clean. I have used Oven Pride on another oven and it seems to work reasonably well, but messy. I like good old stainless steel wool, degreaser and elbow grease for cleaning the bottom of pans from the gas hob.

The other thing I hate is the snotty blubber you get in a chip pan and inside the extractor unit. I use Screwfix degreaser and steel wool. Works well.

Oven pride, with a bit of cling film over the top to stop it drying out if our in the open

If it’s gotten thick burnt on bits like in photo, careful scraping with a razor blade works well.

On horizontal surfaces wiping the run off back up the walls every hour or so helps

I concur mr muscle is useless nowadays, I remember using it 30years ago and it really burning if you got it on you, now not so much.

Next time, buy an oven with black sides and floor ... doesn't show as much :)

One thing that might work, having got it decent, is to fill a roasting dish with water and cook it for a while. The steam will/might depending on what it is soften some of the thick bits and you can scrape it off as soon as its cool enough to touch.

Every time we run the dishwasher with a bit of spare space we put an oven rack or two in, keeps them shiny.

My wife is able to source commercial over cleaners (as used in Rational etc) for free and these are extremely effective, especially in conjunction with a steam cleaner. Totally fine on mist domestic ovens. But there are trade products like Avalanche that comes in 5 litre containers for around £20.

All of these cleaners are acid based. Domestic one use fairly low concentration of caustic soda. Commercial ones are stronger and use surfectants etc.

Siemens Double oven needed cleaning. Removed doors, racks, rack brackets and seal. Received the usual comments like, why are you going to all that trouble, just get on and clean it etc. I did not waste my time explainIng that a few minutes spent removing items makes the job easier and better.

Tried mr muscle oven cleaner, spray, loads fumes, not much good at cleaning. Then tried Oven Mate, see photo, paint on gel, worked better, left overnight, less fumes, but not fantastic. I am left with a few black spots and sides not great. Cleaner worked well on glass doors. Have attached some pictures of bottom oven, top oven is better but spent much longer on it. Not cleaned the racks yet, apparently there is a method using a bag.

It is back together now and has passed inspection as it is much better than before. Also covering the worktops with oven components has its advantages as in, that is good enough, put it back together.

I was wondering if anyone has a method for cleaning ovens which works.
View attachment 130822

View attachment 130823

Yes. Amortise over five years. Don't bother. Enjoy life. Buy another.

We get a man in...

Ours is being cleaned at the end of March for £60. It is a pyro oven but I've read they create a huge amount of smoke and you have to remove the trays and racks and clean them manually. Last time I used Oven Pride (Wife: oven cleaning is boys' jobs) and it did well on the trays and racks, but I decided afterwards it's not worth the effort and the mess. Life is just too short to be donning marigolds and messing with chemicals.. unless you're a drug dealer

I second the above. If you want it super clean get the experts. The reason is, they are allowed to use the more powerful chemicals and they put the shelves and stuff in a heated bath.

Last time I did mine with mr muscle it took ages and still wasn't that good.

Ollie

Oven cleaner is caustic and can damage the brazing and the binder that holds carbide together. Makes them dull faster so not advisable to use it. Some of the general purpose cleaners are safer and searching around I learned that Powdered Brewery Wash works. Good enough for a beer bottle. 🍻 😉

https://simplegreen.com/cleaning-tips/rooms/garage/saw-blades/
https://www.instructables.com/Cleaning-Off-Pitch-Resin-From-Router-Bits-and-Saw-/
https://www.amazon.com/PBW-Five-Sta...r=8-2&keywords=pwb&refinements=p_89:Five+Star
Pete

What are people cooking in their ovens to get them that dirty, our Neff has the pyrolytic cleaning function but have never needed it so I am assuming that as non carnivores we have cleaner ovens, so you can see what your bowels must look like and they don't have any pyrolytic cleaning ability!

^^^ Yes, it’ll be the tasty roasts spattering the sides. Go vegetarian - you’ll have a lovely clean oven to stick your head into :D

Thank you for all the replies. Seems like there is no magic cure.

Recommendations seem to be
1. Use razor blade to remove baked on grease. I did this on the stubborn areas and it does not appear to have damaged the surface.
2. Oven pride gel gets some recommendations.
3. The suggestion to cover cleaning gel in cling film to stop it drying out is interesting. I will try that next time.
4. Scrub daddy sponges gets a “hearsay” recommendation. I may get one to see if they live up to the hype, not heard of them before.
5. Get a pyrolytic oven
6. Get a black oven
7. Use a commercial cleaner. Avalanche is reasonably priced on amazon and Nisbitts sell commercial cleaner
8. Karcher steam cleaner gets a recommendation
9. Use for 5 years and get a new one. Our oven is about £800 so £160 per year, less cost to replace after say 10 years so about £80 per year.
10. Get a man in to do it. £60 say yearly.
11. Go vegetarian
12. (Edit) Put an oven liner in the base when it is clean. Need to check if there is a heating element in the base and what effect a liner has ie. will element overheat? Will oven temperature reduce?

My mother coated her oven with bicarbonate of soda, she had a sprinkler for it, made from a glass jar with metal lid and holes punched in it. Sprinkled it on the base and I think used a damp cloth to put some on the sides. It was a preventative measure, used to wipe it out every so often and re apply. There was a layer of it on the base, looked awful hence rejected by my wife, many years ago.

Hope I have not missed anything out. Thanks again for all the responses and I enjoyed the jokey replies.

Last edited:
Back