Cleaning Cast Iron Tops Info

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michel

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have recently purchased a drill press with a cast iron table which has a few water marks and a few light rust marks on it. How would you recommend cleaning the top without causing any damage to the surface? :?

Any info would be appreciated.

thank you

Michel

Personally,I would give it a gentle scrub with either fine wire wool,or fine wet-and-dry paper (dry)
But open to better suggestions from the more well-informed :D

Andrew

Try scotch brite, I think its made by 3M. Its like a cloth wire wool. It works on my stuff with no damage.

Hi,

thank you for the info, if i use wonder wheels or Autochrome metal polish do I need to wash off with water after use??

I use wonder wheels to remove rust, it works a treat without any effort. And it removes the rust without affecting the good metal surface.
If the rust is really bad or has been there a long time just agitate it with wire wool, and you then need to neutralize the wonder wheels afterwards. And then use any of the proprietary treatments to help prevent the rust returning. I use the same as you, WD40 or similar, contra to popular believe WD40 contains no silicone Smile. For longer term protection if your not using the machine much, is to use a silicone free oil, I find this very effective. I tried the Libron, but IMHO it's not as good as the oil.

Hope this helps

Hi,

I have some of this in the shed Autosol chrome cleaner (black and gold tube) which I have used it on my motorbike before. Would this work okay or would it be too abrasive??

Nope - it'll be fine, but probably quite slow: whatever you use to get the rust off, use a paste wax afterwards: let it soak into the metal, and then buff - it makes an amazing difference to subsequent 're-rusting' - ie, it will stop it dead if properly applied...

Hi,

thank you for all your advice, I decided to try 400grit wet/dry with wd40 first and it worked really well, luckily the rust was only on the surface so it didn't need much work.

Thanks again :)

Back