cleaning cast iron saw table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For me parrifin is and excellent medium, gets into the rust and acts as a carrier for the removed rust and not really as noxious as most other stuff and you can use the rags to start a fire in the worshop stove after. :)

Acids tend to be a soak-in proposition, unless thickened and turned into a gel (hence Naval Jelly) so that they can remain on the surfaces, esp. angled and vertical surfaces, long enough for the acid to have the desired effect.

Should all cast iron tables end up shiny? My Startrite table is shiny, but my old Wadkin planer is a glorious dull earthy colour which doesn't LOOK like rust. Maybe it's been linseeded.

gmgmgm":1v56czkm said:
Should all cast iron tables end up shiny? My Startrite table is shiny, but my old Wadkin planer is a glorious dull earthy colour which doesn't LOOK like rust. Maybe it's been linseeded.
I've got old saws which were very rusty. Linseed oil applied and after a lot of use they are still dark brown to black but also shiny. After even more use the metal starts to show through dull grey.
So yes - no need the clean back to metal. In fact if you just use the thing whatever it is it will polish up naturally without doing anything at all.

Abranet. Start with 80 grit, finish with 240. Works well without a lubricant but will need a vacuum cleaner.

Andy

Back