Cleaning / caring Saw Blades and Router bits

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stimpy

Established Member
Reaction score
No doubt been asked before... But what / how are folk keeping their blades and bits in fine fettle?

My track saw blades in particular seem to schmoke sooner than I'd like. That said, I had previously run them without extraction on site / outdoors etc which no doubt will build heat up ( I've now used extraction the past couple of years). I also cut some horrid / old hardwood sometimes which is never kind!.. But back to the thread, I do nothing but an occasional brush off for cleaning but can see ?resin? build up on surfaces which no doubt aid in the smoking process..

I've also seen advertised blade ?lubricant? - is that snake oil or genuinely help? Or is the secret in just keeping them proper clean?.

Lastly, I must admit I don't spend an awful lot of time altering blade speeds on the track saw - I assume this will not help wear either and I should have more consideration here..

Thanks all..

Ive a small trend fine diamond 'stone' i use on the flats of cutters, to keep a burr from forming. Just a few wipes and not an the profiled cutting edge.
As fofr cleaning, thinners takes off any build up of resin.

Ive a small trend fine diamond 'stone' i use on the flats of cutters, to keep a burr from forming. Just a few wipes and not an the profiled cutting edge.
As fofr cleaning, thinners takes off any build up of resin.

Thanks.

I have certainly used a diamond file on the back of a cutter before. With regards thinners; I'd have spirits , carb cleaner etc around I could try that definitely..

With regards to sharpening saw blades ( Festool TS ones) I guess I could get them sent off? Or maybe try sharpen them myself with the diamond file?..

Thanks.

I have certainly used a diamond file on the back of a cutter before. With regards thinners; I'd have spirits , carb cleaner etc around I could try that definitely..

With regards to sharpening saw blades ( Festool TS ones) I guess I could get them sent off? Or maybe try sharpen them myself with the diamond file?..
Send it off to a proper saw doctor. They will also look for damage and replace or re braze TC teeth if necessary.
The only serious TS accident I know of was a TC tooth detached and flying into somebody's eyeball. He felt it hit but didn't realise it was actually still in his eye until he went to the doc. Luckily it went through the white, not the lens and they could take it out - and he got his sight back.
Saw had a guard on but it bounced out somehow.
Since then I've been very cautious about being in line with a TS while it's spinning.

I recently cleaned my blades with washing detergent, as an experiment. Worked brilliantly! Took about 30 mins and zero effort, and only cost me 13p or whatever the cost of that bit of detergent was. Here's the before and after. Blade cuts perfectly now.

20201229_151704.jpg
20201229_151650.jpg

20201229_151811.jpg
20201229_151927.jpg
20201229_161349.jpg
20201229_161421.jpg

I'm using Vanish Oxi Action powder in the warm water. I also got the Klein Cleanup and Klein Protect but still did not tried them.

Have you tried that on router bits? Not sure why, but I'm hesitant to soak my router bits in detergent like the saw blade.... Totally irrational now that I think about it.

Reference sharpening, like some have said; diamond stones, matchbox size, work well - just a couple of strokes on the blade flats before use is enough. I find better results coming from holding bits in the vice.

Reference cleaning blades and bits, I have used good quality glass cleaner for general cleaning as it takes longer to evaporate and if you leave it on for a few minutes it works even better then just rub off with a rag. For heavier grime, I use oven cleaner as it gets rid of anything - just soak for an hour then wipe off and if necessary apply again.

Thanks for the other tips I shall try them and see if they are better.

Thanks folks! I should have cellulose thinners somewhere, i'll take a look tamara (y)

I've also got a few brass wire brushes and the like, that should shift some gunk too. I'll have a play...

Best stuff Ive found for cleaning saw blades is Trisodium phosphate. I got some to clean a bit of an accident with oil on the driveway. It cleaned the crud off the sawblades in minutes. Got to be careful with it though its pretty aggressive!

Last time my saw blade was gunked up I tried some Dawn Ultra Platinum Powerwash. A dish soap you are supposed to spray on and let it sit before rinsing off. It does a good job on grease like roasting and frying pans. I sprayed it on and left it for a few minutes following with a toothbrush scrub (don't tell her) and another repeat. Then I rinsed it clean under hot water, dried it off and then set aside to evaporate the rest. The label says it contains anionic surfactants, whatever they are. :unsure: I suspect you have it or something like it.

Pete

Last time my saw blade was gunked up I tried some Dawn Ultra Platinum Powerwash. A dish soap you are supposed to spray on and let it sit before rinsing off. It does a good job on grease like roasting and frying pans. I sprayed it on and left it for a few minutes following with a toothbrush scrub (don't tell her) and another repeat. Then I rinsed it clean under hot water, dried it off and then set aside to evaporate the rest. The label says it contains anionic surfactants, whatever they are. :unsure: I suspect you have it or something like it.

Pete

You need to get some illegal importing going Pete! We only get namby pamby stuff here!:ROFLMAO:

Anyway, I'll take a look through all my chemicals tamara and just see what works / what melts the blades!!

Be aware that oven cleaner is rumoured to break down the carbide or maybe it is the braising. Either way, not good for them.

Pete

I'll leave that with the missus then!

I shall just be checking what thinners etc I have in my workshop...

Have you tried that on router bits? Not sure why, but I'm hesitant to soak my router bits in detergent like the saw blade.... Totally irrational now that I think about it.

Yes, I did. It works great. Just make sure you apply some anti-rust spray after getting them out of the water and cleaning them.

I did my first (test) video showing how to clean saw blades with Vanish Oxi Action:

Back