Clean workshop air

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grantx

Established Member
Reaction score
I use a JET 1100 dust/chip extractor with the large cartridge dust filter on top, not the cloth bag on all machinery.This is supplemented with a Numatic vac with an extra fine dust filter in the head for a 2nd close extraction on all machines possible. A ceiling mounted JET air filter of the type you mention finishes the job. In my last workshop I also had a large Expelair, 8" or 10" fitted 1/2 way down the workshop.

Colin

Your best option is to deal with the dust at source, not allowing it to get airborne means you can’t breath it in. I’m not saying don’t go for an air cleaner or dust mask but do your utmost to catch the dust/shavings as they are produced either with a high pressure low volume system ( vacuum type extractor) or a low pressure high volume system (Chip collector)

I'm using a Fox F50-842 dust extractor and a Record Power AC400. I leave the AC400 running the entire time I'm working. I don't have the 1 micron filter for the Fox yet, though I'm not cutting much in the way of MDF. Seems to keep the workshop quite clean.

I had the same issue at the beginning of the year but there was no stock for air filters anywhere. I ended up making my own out of a sheet of 12mm plywood, a couple of panel filters, a 2nd hand 8 inch incline duct fan and a smart plug (so I can shout at the Amazon Echo I have in the garage to turn on the air filter). It runs at about 70db so not as quiet as the Axminster one, but it also has a 1/3rd higher airflow. I think the filters on mine are 50% bigger than the Axminster one and about half the price. I used a standard size so I wasn't limited to just that particular filter. I start with a G4 panel filter (from Dustspares.co.uk) and then have a 4 pocket F8 filter behind that. Total cost - about £80. Total time - a morning.

Got a picture?
I had the same issue at the beginning of the year but there was no stock for air filters anywhere. I ended up making my own out of a sheet of 12mm plywood, a couple of panel filters, a 2nd hand 8 inch incline duct fan and a smart plug (so I can shout at the Amazon Echo I have in the garage to turn on the air filter). It runs at about 70db so not as quiet as the Axminster one, but it also has a 1/3rd higher airflow. I think the filters on mine are 50% bigger than the Axminster one and about half the price. I used a standard size so I wasn't limited to just that particular filter. I start with a G4 panel filter (from Dustspares.co.uk) and then have a 4 pocket F8 filter behind that. Total cost - about £80. Total time - a morning.

So what can I say. CBC Canada did a comparison of air filtration systems, and found that a 20x20 box fan with a similar size filter on it di almost the same as the 800$ Dyson. At about 1/40th the cost, you could add3 or 4 of them. We have two in our maker-space. I know that in years gione by, I've read that spraying the fuirnace filters with spam (spray on cooking oil) would increase their effectiveness, but make them disposable instead of just blowig them off with compressed air

We're currently installing a 12x4 cnc router in our makerspace and I'm looking after the dust collecion system

D/C pundits of the interweb say we need about 60CFM at the head and with an anemometer, on a 2hp d/c, we're marginally below that, nonetheless, our 5HP main dust collector shows less air flow at particular tools, and it collects dust/chips adequuately, so the proof will be in the pudding. Attachment shows it under construction.. 20210512_141935.jpg

And today I was working on the bood around the router head20210512_141935.jpg20210514_140919.jpg

Apparently D/c system ratings are "hit and miss" for air flow I am resigned to seeing if the dang thing works. Incidently the brush on the sweep is a door sweep

Despite having "at source" d/c system, the company y I use to get manufactured cabinet doors from has a "state of the art" and" gov't inspected d/c system" but the place is still loaded with dust, so ancilliary overall shop air filtration is needed. Tried to upload a pix of a 29$ chinois electronic particulate counter, but did not work

Hope this gives a tad of perspective towards problem solving...

Eric
in the colonies

Latest posts

Back