Clarke Pillar Drill CDP251F

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Penllysbach

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi
Not sure if anyone can help me; I have a Clarke CDP251F which until today has worked fine. While drilling it seemed that the chuck dropped a little then the drill would not start. Tried again and it started very slowly but did not speed up. Tried again, slow then did speed up but am sure I smelt a burning smell. Have checked the belts and they seem fine, run smoothly when hand turned.
Have checked the manual and it says bearings should need any lubrication .........
Thanks in advance

Is the top cover on properly? My drill isn't a Clarke (it's probably the same machine that Clarke badge and charge more for!) - from time to time it fails to switch on as the cover on the belt area hasn't tripped the safety micro-switch - sharp tap on the cover usually does it!

I may be completely wrong and your motor may be a brushless type but I recently had an issue with my Router Table where the speed became intermittent, finally packing up altogether. That turned out to be worn brushes, or, more correctly, brushes not making contact with the Commutator. I found that one spring holding the brushes in place was poorly formed and wasn't pressing one brush fully home due to normal wear. Once I'd corrected that I was up and running again. 2 minute job :)

So, have replaced the capacitor and now have power again but still very slow. Have tried removing the belts and it runs ok without them. If I run it with the belts on for a few moments I can smell burning rubber ... could it be something to do with the belts? They look fine.
Thanks in advance

If the V sides of the belts are worn away the remaining part of the belt will sit to deep in the grove and botton out /slip , The drive belt needs to be wide / Fat ( like me ) to drive properly , If the belt is slipping you will smell burning rubber as it heats up

Well, having seen smoke signals coming up from the motor, I think that's the issue. Question now is whether to replace the motor, as not sure what else could go, or replace. A new motor is around £150. To replace like for like around the £700 mark.
Any recommendations for a bench pillar drill would be great pls. I don't want one without umph .... and thoughts, replace or repair.
Thanks all

Repair would be a likely case 150(if the motor) vs 700.
Rather than jump to the motor straight off, you mention that the chuck dropped a bit. Does it now rest lower than it used too?
It could be the quill assembly has loosened and dropped enough to knock out alignment. If out it could cause stiffness that will can stall the motor on start and if running cause belt slip.....creating the burn smell.
If smoke is coming directly out of the motor( not just the pulley on top of the motor) then it is probably the motor
With all belts removed the motor turns smooth and free? Is it the same with the quill/chuck.
Could be a case of disassembling and reseating/lubricating the quill.
EDIT. Just make sure all parts are running smooth and freely as fitting a new motor is probably just going to burn that one out as well if it is under to much load driving stiff pulleys/bearings.

Last edited:
I am now the proud owner of an (old) Startrite Mercury, picked up locally. A little different but cost less that the new motor would have done.
Thanks everyone for your help

you mention that the chuck dropped a bit. Does it now rest lower than it used too?
It could be the quill assembly has loosened and dropped enough to knock out alignment. If out it could cause stiffness that will can stall the motor on start and if running cause belt slip.....creating the burn smell.

Appreciate this is moot as a shiny 'old' Startrite has taken over drill duties but I'm a little surprised only one person picked up the arbor had dropped in the fault diagnosis. The arbor will be a morse taper and the other end will be splined into the top pulley. I suspect a block of wood and sharp hit with mallet under the chuck will resurrect your Clarke pillar drill, assuming you haven't disposed of it already.

Back