(Clarke Bandit Air Compressor and Nail Gun Kit) ANY VIEWS??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michel

Established Member
Reaction score
Looking for a compressor and 50mm nail gun for home use for nailing up some projects and tyre inflation. Have seen the Clarke Bandit Air Compressor and Nail Gun Kit for about £80. Which seems like a good deal. :D

Just wondered if anybody had any views on them etc.

Don't really want to spend more the £150 for the package.

Regards :D

Michel

Michel,

I got one at the end of the summer and it seems fine. I haven't shot many nails but it works every time i want it to. The gun seems to be efficient enough but there is no "anti - mar" bumper on the nose so it leaves more of a mark than i would ideally like, but hey its cheap :D

Aidan.

Hi Michel,

I hate to say this, but I have just written an article about cheap nail gun kits for the February issue of New Woodworking (out any time now) The Clarke kit (£79.95 from Argos) is amongst the featured models. I think it is good value for the money - but invest in a new airline and fit quick release fittings - at least to the gun end.

Ralph

Hi Ralph

Don't worry, I'm sure that we all appreciate your input to the forum.

If you want an idea for a SERIES of articles that would sell lots of magazines then please do something on dust extraction.

I would like to start with an explanation of the how the different types of extraction unit work and what they should be used for. Also what is the optimum size pipe to plumb into and, very important, how much noise do they make. Then following up a review of each type with systems at different price bands.

The same approach could be used for hand planes as, certainly in my case, they are the most misunderstood of tools.

It would be really good if you could also incorporate the "street price", as the first thing everyone has to do is to look at the adverts to get an idea of the real price.

There, that'll keep you going for the next year!!!

Cheers
Neil

I hate to say this, but I have just written an article about cheap nail gun kits for the February issue of New Woodworking (out any time now)

Thats good i will wait for my copy to arrive before i make a decision :D

Any advice is always appreciated :)

Regards

Michel

Just remembered something I saw,

Screw fix have what looks like a fantastic deal (This used to be a good deal, but now its brilliant)

You get a 6ltr compressor, quick release fittings, air line, nail guy, blow gun, tyre inflator and a spray gun for 90 quid!

Not sure how the quality is, but it certainly is cheap:
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro ... 5&ts=32128

When screwfix first brought this product out there was a discussion on UKW forums here:
https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/view ... compressor

unfortunately Screwfix won't send stuff to the Channel Islands only mainland. :(

rgds

michel

Neil,

The subject of extraction is a good one I’ll give it some thought. I assume you are thinking in terms of the ‘home’ workshop?

I know that a mate of mine is doing something in The Woodworker on hand tools :wink:

James,

Most of those small compressors are made in Italy from standard parts, and put together like Britain’s Swap-its (ask your Dad :wink: ) Most of the guns are made in Taiwan, and the hose and fittings sourced locally. The whole lot is ladled with the suppliers brand marketed accordingly. If you look at the pumps and tanks of various makes you will see what I mean.

That offer looks like good value for money to me.

Ralph

Hi Ralph

Ralph":am2ayehp said:
Neil, The subject of extraction is a good one I’ll give it some thought. I assume you are thinking in terms of the ‘home’ workshop?
I think that most of us work out of a single garage, perhaps you could use that as your model?

Ralph":am2ayehp said:
I know that a mate of mine is doing something in The Woodworker on hand tools :wink:

I look forward to reading it. The only downside is that I'll have Alf greasing some slope to try and trip me up. :wink:

Thanks again

Neil

Neil, Neil. Would I do that? :)

Personally I reckon if you want really good advice from the Woodworker about handtools, don't read anything under about 50 years old. It's just been all downhill after that :( Still I suppose the only way is up and maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Cheers, Alf

Just noticed that B&Q have the following: -

Rockworth Air Compressor & 6 Piece Accessory Kit

about £80

(I'm sure they're all the same just different stickers etc.)

seems like a good deal as well :!:

Rgds

Michel

Not seen that one in the flesh so to speak, but from the B&Q website it looks good to me. B&Q Compressor Pressure switch on the pump AND it looks like it has a proper line pressure gauge on the regulator. I'll go and investigate that one if I were you. They seem to change their stock lines around quite often so dont hang around :wink:

Ralph

Hello Ralph,

Not seen that one in the flesh so to speak, but from the B&Q website it looks good to me

Had a look at the kit today, has quick release fitting on tool end, and it does have a proper line pressure gauge on the regulator.

The nail gun looks okay (for the price).

If i decided to upgrade the nail gun at a later date would the compressor be man enough to cope with finish nailers and frame nailers :?:

Do all nail guns come with a depth adjuster :?:

I currently use the RAPESCO 191PRO NAILER AND STAPLER, with varying results with the depth (depending on how hard you press). Not impressed really :( , hence me looking at air nailers :)

I think i will wait to read your review on other set's before i decide.

Thanks for your input :D

Michel

Hi Michel,

From what you say the B&Q kit sounds like a really good buy.

Small compressors fall in to two, if you like, power bands. The 8 bar (116psi) and the 10 bar (145 psi) the smaller compressor pumps usually produce around 187.5 l/m (7 cfm) of which the B&Q one does.

Depending on make, a brad nailer uses around 1 cfm, at a pressure of 70 – 85 psi and a finish nailer, at the same pressure, around 2.5cfm so the small compressors are more than capable of running small air nailers.

Framing nailer are a different thing all together. They need a supply of 7.5 cfm at a constant 90-100 psi the very small compressors drop the tank pressure to below this before recharging and cannot supply enough air to completely supply the gun’s requirement. The next stage up in compressors, 10 bar at around 8cfm, will fire a framing nailer so long as rapid firing is not required and that short (25ft max) hoses of 8mm+ diameter are used.

We use much larger compressors for our framing nailers and still run out of air if we get a bit trigger happy!

Most of the cheap brad nailers are not adjustable for dept and are pre set to ‘set’ the brad about 1.5mm below the surface. Simply fire the brad through a thin piece of wood to raise the set. Do not be tempted to reduce the pressure as this will vary depending where the compressor is in its recharge cycle. The piston is designed to bottom out at each firing.

I think you will be happy with whatever you buy to start with and if you get hooked you will end up with a whole collection of them!

One of the most useful things in our workshop is the blow gun – it is great for cleaning everything from router cutters to the saw bench.

One last thing, cheap nail gun kits usually come with a curly hose. Invest in a length of rubber hose you wont regret it!

Have fun :wink:
Ralph

Hello Ralph,

once again some good advice

Thank you :D

Michel

I have bought a brad nailer in B&Q about a year ago. It would have been about that price. It actually looks very similar to the current one on sale. Mine is branded performance.

I am VERY happy with it. Of course the gun makes marks on soft woods but hey "you get what you pay for". However, this is the good part, I have installed the weather boards on my workshop with it, using 50mm brads, and it made a really easy job of it. It is a very strong little compressor for the price. And now that the workshop is setup, I find it's compact size a bonus. I have it hidden away using a long rubber hose as Ralf suggested: a must. Using a 3m long hose I can reach every where in the workshop, and while cladding the workshop this proved invaluable.

This should be the first thing you do when you get it. Fit in BSP connectors (please ralf correct me if I have this name wrong, I vaguely remember it) and a good rubber hose.

Hello CYC,

can you tell me where you got your rubber hose from, axminster don't seem to have rubber hose :?

Regards :D

Michel

I got it from a local hardware store. I think this is common enough to find in most hardwares. It's just like a water hose if not the same!

One thing, you will have to change the connector on the gun as well (of course), but this was very simple on mine (unscrew the old and screw the new). Once you use BSP connectors you will be able to buy new air accessories and just plug them in, whereas you may have to check if they will fit if you keep the standard connectors.

CYC and Michel,

BSP = British Standard Pipe and refers to the thread e.g. ¼ inch BSP. Quick release fittings are usually either ‘PCL’ (long thin plug) or Euro (short plug).

Hoses are available from all sorts of suppliers not directly connected to the woodworking trade. Try a look in the local yellow pages for Car body refinishing supplies or workshop supplies. Another port of call is Compressor Service. Just think laterally :? .

Rubber is only one type of hose and can be a bit heavy on a small gun. Once you find a trade suppler they will advise you of what they stock and its’ suitability.

Good luck,
Ralph

Back