Clarke 37" headstock spindle thread headache

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ekynoxe

Reaction score
Hello,

I got a free Clare 37" wood lathe not long ago and I'm really enjoying exploring what I can do with it.

However, it didn't come with a faceplate and I am trying to find one that fits, so I can turn bigger bowls with a stable hold.
From all the documentation I found that the spindle is 3/4" 16TPI, and I measured it as such.

I bought this faceplate as it mentions the model of my lathe (Nu-Tool NWL37; APTC KWL37; Clarke CWL12C)

However, it doesn't screw on. It gets on the spindle for the first 5mm, but then stops, I can't screw it on any further.
Since a turner friend also gave me a faceplate to try, and it doesn't fit for the same reason, I wonder what the issue could be, and how do I identify a faceplate that would fit the threads.

I have a chuck on the lathe that does go on very well (possibly even a bit loose on the threads), so don't think it's all mangled.

I know it's a very old lathe, but since it was free, I'd like to keep going with it with minimum outlay to learn the ropes.

Thanks!

Sure!
It does look like the thread has been flattened on the right side.

I've added pics of my chuck as well.

IMG_1010.jpeg
IMG_1013.jpeg
IMG_1011.jpeg

Yes you have some damage on the thread I'll go and have a look in the shed if I still have a 3/4 x 16 UNF die I could send you.

Sorry looks like I do not have the 3/4 -16 anymore I have let a lot go over the last couple of years.
You should be able to find one on e-bay, the threads do need reforming to make it easy to get chuck/faceplate on.

Sorry looks like I do not have the 3/4 -16 anymore I have let a lot go over the last couple of years.
You should be able to find one on e-bay, the threads do need reforming to make it easy to get chuck/faceplate on.

Thank you Phill, no problem, that was an incredibly kind offer anyway!

Are you sure it's 3/4 x 16, some lathes had a 3/4 x 10 or 12 thread.

I counted 16 per inch on the arbor, so I think it's correct.

Using a die might restore them to the shape they are on the left, but since it's the bit on the right where a new 3/4 16tpi faceplate actually does screw on, I wonder if there was another "shape" of threads, which is not at all what the "standard" is.

The manual says it's UNF. Looking at charts, that's what 3/4 16tpi is. But that doesn't explain why a new faceplate wouldn't screw on.

I too counted 16 tpi making that UNF if it is 3/4" dia the shape of the tooth is 60 degree see the attached I have drawn a line that is 25.4 mm and shows 16 peaks, I think it is the damaged threads that is stopping the new part screwing on.
Just had a look on e-bay and you can get a die for around £10 but you need something that will hold 50mm Dia.

thread_1.JPG

Hiyas... I would use a Swiss file thin to thick edge and just clear the front few threads...you can start by hand and then finish on a slow speed...ivedne this many times...

Steve

Thanks a lot for the ideas guys!
Thanks @Phill05 I've ordered a die, hopefully that fixes it!

I'm assuming the chuck must be worn, somehow, if it goes on and off very easily?

Hurrah!

It was the correct diameter and thread! All working now!

Hopefully I can make a bigger one of those soon 😇

Attachments

• 2A0D29C7-ABC8-4A49-B0F0-D07888595635.jpeg
    2A0D29C7-ABC8-4A49-B0F0-D07888595635.jpeg
    109.5 KB · Views: 7
  • CDC1D7B0-DB94-4FF1-A9E7-3856E0B5BA86.jpeg
    CDC1D7B0-DB94-4FF1-A9E7-3856E0B5BA86.jpeg
    121.2 KB · Views: 7
  • A0678DDC-32B4-46E9-84E2-3A22C79B4B89.jpeg
    A0678DDC-32B4-46E9-84E2-3A22C79B4B89.jpeg
    75.2 KB · Views: 6
Great so pleased when it all comes together, you might want to think about replacing the worn chuck now so It don't happen again.

Silly question time . The plate with the 6 holes how does the wood get attached .
Dime bar moment

Screws ,through the holes in the plate into the wood. Plate comes off ( unscrews ) screws go through from the back of the plate ( as you are looking at it on second pic ) into what will be the base of the bowl. then put the plate ( with wood attached, back onto shaft and lock ( screw ) it up tight.Some of them have "prongs" instead of screws..works the same way, they ( prongs ) locate in the holes in the plate and stick into the base of what would become the bowl.

I said "bowl" but it could be anything..it is a way to hold onto the end of a piece of wood that is too big to be held just by the combination "spike" that goes in the centre of the shaft.

If you use screws , you can make bowls ( so you can work without the tailstock ) if prongs you'd best use the tailstock to hold the other end or the wood will probably fly off..

Bigger diametre plates have more holes, arranged along radial lines, so you can attach bigger bits of wood.

Last edited:
Back