Clamps ...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eeyore

Established Member
Reaction score
Good Morning (as Norm would say ...)

I've been lurking round this group for a while 'listening' to your exchanges (and in some cases learning from them). I notice among other things that some of you, like me, can't have too many clamps, and have discussed Bessey, Paramo and 'pipe' clamps. I personally lust after Norm's clamp collection, but Bessey are v. expensive and 'plumber's black pipe' seems to be virtually obsolete in the UK. You might like to check out Jet Clamps (www.jetclamps.co.uk). I've been using these for about fifteen years, and they're as good now as when I first got them. No, I have no connection with the company, just a satisfied customer who has just bought some more.

:?: I'm not sure if this would help you folks in the u.k. but I too have a hard time finding good clamps at a reasonable price, it burns me to pay $30.00 for one clamp, doesn't take many to equal the price of a new power tool :wink: but I found a place that has decent clamps at a very low price....www.toolking.com might take a look...no I have no part in the company (wish I did!)

I've tried many clamps - soon i'll get some Bessey Uni-Klamps.

I've tried Screwfix, Axminster, Clarke, Warehouse direct, Record, Wolfcraft and the list goes on...

The aluminum sash type clamps sold by many companies are good i've found.

Charley tells me that the Uni-Klamps are good so soon I will but some of them.

Hi there,

Well I have heard lots about his 'Normness' but have never seen his show, (not much time for the TV) but must agree that you cannot have to many clamps.
I have started to collect Aluminiun Sash Clamps. I bought the first one from Screw Fix, but have now found that Warehouse Direct sell almost the same thing, by the pair. The bigger (size) you buy the cheaper WD are. (But Warehouse Direct need to get their WEB site ordering sorted out.)
For small work I like speed clamps or bar clamps, the ones that suprised me are some quick action clamps that I bought in Lidl, use the same mechanism as a sealant gun, very cheap and useful.
I had quick look at Tool King and got :evil: envious :evil: of what is there and the prices :twisted: how come we have to pay so much more for things?

DaveL

The really really really gutting thing for me is about 3 years ago I helped some one strip out an old factory building. We pulled out about 1000M of black iron pipe.

The bloke I was helping had an allotment and we took it all up there and dumped it all by the hedge, bit off I thought...

Went up there the other day to see if there was any about but it had all gone, but every single plot had the best runner bean grower upper things you've ever seen :D

Miffed

Signal.

Plumber's black pipe hasn't disappeared at all - because it's ELECTRICIAN'S black pipe! Factory Regs still require the use of steel conduit (or armoured cables) for power feed drops in factories where fork lift trucks are operating, so you should be able to buy black steel conduit from any electrical wholesaler (e.g. City Electrical Factors, Newey & Eyre, etc).

Hi Folks,
Hope you all had a great festive period and are raring to go now!!
Maybe this is a bit of a silly question but, given we now have a supplier of the pipe, where cai I buy the clamp attachments in the Uk ?
Thanks in advance,
Graham

Again don't know about the U.K. but Harbor Freight always has pipe clamps..

ok so maybe we can get the pipes and maybe we can get the ends, do the pipes come threaded? (the non-adjustable end needs screwing onto the pipe)

if no, your going to need a bloody big die to tap a thread onto the end of the pipe :)

Steven

The Power Press "quickly mounts to 3/4" - 19mm - threaded or unthreaded pipe" ... see link in my previous post

The Jet Clamps I started this thread with, and which everyone seems to be ignoring :? use standard 6mm mild steel bar. You can obtain a couple of pairs of clamp ends separately, then buy the steel bar from

http://www.mailordermetals.co.uk/steel.htm

in various lengths to give you whatever length clamps you may need ...

eeyore

the jetclamps do look good, i may have to give them a ring.....

power jaw - presumably is the adjustable end?
check jaw - presumably is the fixed end?

If you need pipes threading, just make frields with a spark that fits industrial conduit. Its amazing where a few pints will get you (in trade circles that is).

Doughnut

Back