Clamps

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dlyxover

Established Member
Reaction score
During my last project I had 6 clamps fail, not at the critical point but frustrating all the same.
The failure was they were all slipping and didn't get or stay tight.

Granted 4 of which were the Draper examples linked below.
F Clamp 150 x 50mm

2 were Bessey Uniklamp
Bessey UniKlamp UK80 800/80

In a moment of weakness I purchased some Jorgensen light and medium f clamps
Jorgensen Steel Bar Clamp - Pony Jorgensen

and some parallel clamps (which I yet to receive)
Jorgensen Cabinet Master 90° Parallel Jaw Bar Clamp - Pony Jorgensen

They are well made, the ratcheting slide is a faff to get used to one mastered a great feature.
They apply a lot of clapping pressure and don't need to have the life squeezed out of them to apply it (ask me how I know haha)
Cant wait to get the parallel clamps.

Found them for what I thought was a great price online at tools warehouse.

clamps.jpg

yeh first time I did the glue up I might have kinda split the miter with the calming pressure.

It appears these clamps put a lot more pressure for less effort than the cheap ones I have, who would have thought lol

these clamps must be new to the uk market. I looked a few months back and they got good ratings in a FWW magazine test but you couldn't get them here. Interestingly they do a 450mm which Bessey do not. 600mm is a bit big for much of what I need, and 300mm just a bit small.

On a related matter - I have a few Bessey clamps. I have had no-end of trouble with them slipping and wouldn't recommend them to anyone - one in particular is next to useless and always has been. Has anyone successfully remedied this - I wondered about filing deeper grooves in the bar but haven't attempted anything. I usually resort to my tried and trusted Record clamps if I am clamping anything important - or my homemade cam clamps which are really great for lighter pressure, but the bar clamps would be handy if they didn't slip.

Cheers
Richard

I filed the groves on my cheap clamps with success. They'll never be as good as a premium clamp though.

Nigel.

I have no association with the clamp manufacture or the retailer I would like to make this clear.

In all honesty rather p*%$ed off with the retailer, still waiting fo the parallel clamps to arrive; been told its going to be the end of the month.

Did think of filing the grooves on bars of the Bessey uni but the failure is on clamp head that grips on the bar, its mushroomed out.

In all honesty rather p*%$ed off with the retailer, still waiting fo the parallel clamps to arrive; been told its going to be the end of the month.

It's not a surprise in the current situation tbh, virtually everything is out of stock and taking months to arrive due to shipping problems.

Mine arrived today thanks for the heads up. Seem well put together made in China but very pleased so far.

The parallel clamp arrived for me last week.

I really like them very much.
which did you get Neil?

I really like them very much.
which did you get Neil?
[/QUOTE]
POJ3736HD 36” heavy duty steel bar clamp can’t see them on the website at the moment.

Back