Clamps. Which ones should I buy?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Hello

I want to buy some clamps for holding together cabinets while joining. I'm looking at "Quick Grip Bar clamps" on diytools.com or "Ali Sash clamps" on Screwfix. I haven't had hold of them, just pics on the net.

Which should I go for?

Thanks very much!

Yes I certainly agree with neil, Bessey...

You can see my review of Bessey K Body Clamps here:
http://www.sawdustalley.co.uk/tools/k-body.htm

I've also got the following bessey reviews coming up on SDA:
- Uni-Klamp review
- Kilklamp review

I've tried these 3 types from bessey, and I love them all! You will be absolutley shocked at the price, but they are worth it without a doubt.

Should the price of the Besseys be just a leetle too much :shock: , you might want to consider a few sets of clamp heads instead. The Paramo ones for preference, as the slope of the hole for the pin is designed to make the head bed more firmly on the bar as you tighten up. This gives the maximum flexibility for your cash, as you can make any number of bars of various lengths without having to buy more of the expensive clamp bit. Its worth taking the trouble to wax the bars and replace the pins with bolts instead, btw. I've also found PVA-ing a piece of cork tile to the head was well worth it, to avoid marking the workpiece. Of course, if you can justify them then the Besseys don't need any work; but I can't so these fill the void. Don't worry; I cry all the way to the bank. :wink:

I also have some Quick Clamps too, and I like 'em; but I find them a bit weedy for mighty pulling together of carcasses. I use the smaller sizes for all manner of tasks though.

Cheers, Jester

P.S. Did I mention the 8 pairs of clamp heads I got s/h for a tenner? Including an assortment of 20 or so ready drilled beech bars, some over 5ft long...? <Gloat!> Vroooooommmmmm! :lol:

Hi,

I have got some small clone versions of the quick clamps, which are very good for tight corners and grip very well for things of their size.

Axminster did have the Ali clamps on offer and were a little cheaper than Screwfix :D . I have a growing collection of them, they very light for their length but are very strong.
I now have 2 off 2', 2 off 3' and 4 off 4' that’s not enough but the collection is still growing.

Hi MWM

I also have some of the quick clamps and find them very useful.

You can get them from your local B & Q and I believe at a lower price.

Cheers
Neil

Thanks Neil

I'll go & have a look. They also sell Gorilla Glue, which I was going to order. Anyone know the cheapest place for that?

Thanks again.

Ooops. :oops: The Quick Grips were what I meant when I said Quick Clamps. D'oh! In my defence, I was in the middle of changing ISP when I wrote my reply. I think "Irwin" are going to/have already changed the colour (blue IIRC) so if you want those luvverly yellow ones act now to avoid disappointment. :D

Cheers, Jester

Hiya Neil,

Yep, much better thanks. Hopefully I've seen the back of it... <groan> :wink:

Cheers, Jester

Go with the ali clamps. The others are too heavy, and the weight is a bloody nuisance with a complex glue up. If your joints are good the ali clamps are quite strong enough
John

Bessey K-body buyers should check CSM Abrasives Plus prices before buying. No connection, just looked at the catalogue earlier and was surprised (a) to see them there and (b) at what looked like good prices. Having checked, £30 (inc vat) for a 1m clamp looks cheaper than the usual suspects.

Jake

Hi Jake

Sounds like an unbelievable price for Bessey, unless it excludes vat. But all of their prices say vat inc.

I've just spent about fifteen minutes and I can't find them. Do you have a link to the clamps on the csm site?

Cheers
Neil

This was in their paper catalogue. They don't appear to be on their website. Definitely said that the price was inclusive of VAT, but I can't recall whether they add extra for postage (I don't think they do, but I could be wrong).

Hi Jake

Thanks for the reply.

I normally buy mine from Xpress and just checking their prices the K100 is 31.14 GBP inc.vat. Anything under that will be an excellent buy.

When you spend over 45 GBP, Xpress don't charge for delivery in England and Wales. Those Bessies weigh a ton, so free carriage, up to 20Kg, is a big saving.

Cheers
Neil

Hi Neil.

From the CSM website

FREE CARRIAGE FOR ALL ORDERS PLACED ON OUR WEBSITE! (UK Mainland only) 2-3 days carrier.
Our standard carriage charge for UK mainland is £2.75 per order, irrespective of number of items and weight. For orders to non UK mainland, or abroad, carriage is charged at cost to us. Please contact us for details.

So I guess that means there is officially a charge since you can't order the Besseys on the website. I wonder if they'd waive the charge because of that? Anyhow, over 3 clamps and you start saving money over Xpress, even if they do charge. No weight limit, either!

Jake

Back