Clamps. Which ones should I buy?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've yet to figure how to justify spending as much (if not more) in a single Bessy than I would on 3 Ally sash clamps the same length. I've been using mine over the last 4 years and they've never once shirked any task set at them. Given that ya canna have too many clamps, anyone wanna clue me in..?????

Mike
I too had the same opinion until a moment of weakness at a show sent me home with a couple of Besseys.....
Mate, they really are classy-the L-N of the clamp world. You just need to try them and, well, you know the rest....
Cheers
Philly :D

Hi Mike,

Don't 'spect you can justify spending on Besseys. I have some and like them because they are solid, quality and nice 'n' easy to use - but I can't justify their cost. I also have a small collection of old, paint-chipped and slightly rusty steel sash cramps - they're a bit more fiddly to set up and use, don't look so good, but work just as well! :D :D Same as a lot of the old tools - in reality just as good as much of the flash, modern expensive kit. :wink: Just look at some of the quality furniture produced with them in the past!

If they work for you I'd stick with your allys, mate. :wink:

Cheers,

Trev.

Just look at some of the quality furniture produced with them in the past!

Trev.. that's just what I was thinkin.. Granted, flash they're never gonna be, but they're light (important with a back as spooky as mine) strong, cheap and never leave rust spots on the job. To date the only probs I've had have been when they're just not long enough; if I could find some at 8ft I'd buy 4 in a heartbeat. But then again.. some of the best challenges have come through having to improvise some "novel" clamping solutions... the current project is a case in point.. building with equilatteral triangles..
L-N's I can justify cos they're damn good at what they do, and I work em pretty damn hard... I can say exactly the same for my ally's... I reckon I'll stick with em for a while to come...

The lightweight alloy clamps can be useful on occasions but watch out for their tendency to bow significantly in the middle as you tighten them, which in turn can apply pressure at angles you definetely don't want, resuting in out of square glue-ups.

Another option is Pony pipe clamps, and with various lenghts of iron pipe, much more adaptable. Picked up a set of four clamp heads at the show and them met a guy who was selling up and got another 14 or so, all with pipes for little money. can't beat them. The ally sash clamps are good too but have their limits. Don't think I'll ever justify K Bodies.

Noel

I didn't mean to spark off the great clamp wars again!

For my part I struggle with Bessey prices. Then again, I needed some quick cramps in a hurry and picked some Bessey ones up on offer in D&M, even on offer they were £25-30. On the way home, as ever, saw a sale sign on a Focus, stopped in, 3 for 2 and 20% off on all handtools. Bought a whole bunch of Irwin yellow thingys. Anyhow, every time I go to cramp something up I go for the Besseys first, they are just so much better. But, I couldn't have afforded to go with all Besseys, or I'd have about 8 cramps.

I still think I'm going to go for the Urko ones next, as a compromise between cheap alloy (have two alloy record Speedcramps, and they are almost utterly useless) and Bessey pricing.

Jake

which in turn can apply pressure at angles you definetely don't want, resuting in out of square glue-ups.

Of course, my joints always fit so well dry that they never need ye aulde white knuckle job on the clamp screw... no need for that much pressure...

Ahem...

if ya buy that I got a bridge I'd like t show ya :wink:

getting serious... FWW did a good clamp review a couple of issues ago; I read with more than a hint of smug satisfaction that my ally's were only out-performed by Besseys for resistance to going out of square. Apparently the worst culprits are the long bar clamps (of I or T bar section), the heads being so loose on the bar that there's no chance they'll ever close square.

Newbie_Neil":ihm1fgtd said:
Hi Jake

Thanks for the reply.

I normally buy mine from Xpress and just checking their prices the K100 is 31.14 GBP inc.vat. Anything under that will be an excellent buy.

When you spend over 45 GBP, Xpress don't charge for delivery in England and Wales. Those Bessies weigh a ton, so free carriage, up to 20Kg, is a big saving.

Cheers
Neil

I too buy mine from Xpress but although their website says free delivery on orders over £45, the figure is in fact over £75. Ordered a couple of clamps a week ago. Online it kept adding in postage although the order was about £70. Rang them and they confirmed the website was wrong.

Back