Clamping Squares...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeordieStew

Established Member
Reaction score
I had an email from Rutlands today regarding Clamping Squares

http://www.rutlands.co.uk/sp+200mm-clam ... 7218PACK12

I've been pretty tempted to buy the Rockler ones, as seen them used on YouTube in the US.

I know Peter Millard makes his own (I don't have a bandsaw to make them like Peter).

Are there any alternatives? Better methods for clamping stuff square? I don't think they're prohibitively expensive, but they aren't cheap.

Cheers

You just need a piece of board you know to be square, then cut some from the corners. Handsaw or jigsaw will do that for you, it's not difficult.

These might be easier for you to make

Right-angle-jigs-hold-cabinet-gable-250x247.jpg

Another possibility, if you fancy a spot of handwork.

You know how video demos of making dovetails always show the simplest example, making a single joint on the ends of a pair of offcuts? You could follow along, make a few and have a useful purpose for them at the end.

Student":1olsxjb8 said:
If you have access to a pillar drill or similar, Colin Knecht makes some clamping squares at 5 mins. 45 seconds into this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pp7b-kziLqU

HTH.

Martin

I like this style, made a couple myself, but I added some flat offcuts 50mm x 25mm to the edges to help with the stability with just one clamp and to make sure they weren't cockeyed.

GeordieStew":2paa90xq said:
Are there any alternatives? Better methods for clamping stuff square?

If you do a lot of pocket hole joinery you might find use for those. But for everything else they're a sticking plaster solution that stops you learning the stuff that matters.

Always do a dry cramp up, measure the diagonals, if it's out of square angle the cramps to pull the assembly back into square (this should become second nature so in a time pressured glue up you know how to adjust cramps automatically), if cramp adjustment doesn't work then go back to your joinery and check it's all square, if not fit the joints individually.

In the long run a working method similar to this will make you a better woodworker, plus it will be one less piece of tat cluttering up your workshop!

Good luck!

custard":24lm358a said:
GeordieStew":24lm358a said:
Are there any alternatives? Better methods for clamping stuff square?

If you do a lot of pocket hole joinery you might find use for those. But for everything else they're a sticking plaster solution that stops you learning the stuff that matters.

Always do a dry cramp up, measure the diagonals, if it's out of square angle the cramps to pull the assembly back into square (this should become second nature so in a time pressured glue up you know how to adjust cramps automatically), if cramp adjustment doesn't work then go back to your joinery and check it's all square, if not fit the joints individually.

In the long run a working method similar to this will make you a better woodworker, plus it will be one less piece of tat cluttering up your workshop!

Good luck!

As well as keeping things square though, they're also third hands so to speak. Although I do agree, having your joinery self supporting makes assembly so much easier!

Back